TOUGH week

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Just as my mother was beginning to stabilise a bit, our beloved dog died on Wednesday morning in my arms.

No point being brave, I'm finding the grieving very tough. He was very active and very happy and a fantastic help in nursing and I so much hoped we would have some fun togther once my mother had gone. I am very sad.

It has also hit my mother very hard - she loved him quite as much as I did (even though he would never listen to a word she said!) She has had a very rough few days, but with lots of insight. The only hopeful thing is that the Home Treatment team seem to be coming round to the idea of getting a bit more serious about adjusting the meds.

A friend has very very sweetly offered me a puppy of my choice as a Christmas present but I think I need a bit of time to mourn and see how it might all be worked in.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Foxhound,
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. A dog is such good company and a great help when caring for somebody. My Mum used to love seeing our dogs when we visited her in the nursing home.

We were very upset to lose our Pyrenean Mountain dog, nearly seven years ago and decided to wait a year or so, before choosing another puppy. However, we missed having a dog so much, that within 24 hours we were looking on the Internet for a suitable breed, which would be gentle with elderly parents and young children.

A couple of months later, we took home two adorable Golden Retriever puppies who have been marvellous pets. They were so good with our frail, elderly mothers, even as youngsters and everyone says how friendly they are.

We've had a lot of fun and laughter with the dogs and I think having them actually helped a lot, as Mum became more dependent on help and things became very difficult. We've also met many interesting people, who we might not otherwise have spoken to.

Although it is not wise to rush into buying a pet, having a dog to look after and take for early morning walks, is one of the best ways of dealing with stress and I'd find it really hard to be without our "shadows", who follow us everywhere in the house and garden.

I hope that you are able to come to terms with your grief and sadness at losing a much loved pet, so that in the not too distant future you could consider making a home for a new puppy.

Best wishes,

Kayla

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey