My gran <3

smilebaby-x

Nov 22, 2008
10 years ago my gran was told she had early on set alzheimer's - just the same as alzheimer's but it affects people at a younger age, my gran only being 55.
I was only 5 at the time and therefor didnt really understand and now 15 i only have faint memorys of her beofre the alzheimer's.
I think the first time a realy knew there was somthin wrong with my grans memory was when i was about 8 and we went to vist her one day, i was had all my hair tyed back and a hat on and when i went in too the living room she just stared at my blankly , with no idea who i was.
Up until about 2 years ago she was still manging to live in her own home with my grandad: who has pakinsions, but it was getting to much, as she would often go out for walks and not return for hours. So about 2 years ago we decied to try and start restbite at a care home little did we now that when they went in for the 1st twwo weeks of restbite they wouldnt come back out.
My gran just setteled in so well, the whole upsrairs of the carehome was set up for people with dementia and downstairs was set up as a normal carehome, so it was perfect for both my gran and grandad.
Although they are very happy there, my grans alzheimer's has got alot worse over the last 2 years.
About 4 months ago, she went into hospital with an infection, when she went in she was still able to talk resonably well, eat by herself and was still very active. She was in hospital about a month, and then one day my mum went in too vist and the doctor sed they were sending my gran back to the carehome, unable to even sit hersefl up n bed, never mind get out of bed, she had lost the abilyty to eat food unless pured and feed to her, and that she would remian like that for the next few months and she would proably not make it to christmas.
However my grandad was dedtermanted she would get back up and walk, and after nearly months in bed, she got up and walked! now she is back to her normal self :) I think it was one of the happist moments in my life when my gran got up and danced with me a few weeks ago.
Although she is doing well at the moment she is still so young yet, in the late stages of alzheimer's and sadly it will never go away.
all i can hope now is she wont have any more bad turns, and will remain happy and with us for many more years.
*sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Last edited:

keane

Sep 9, 2005
Hi there

Your gran sounds really lucky to have such a caring grandaughter. It must have been very hard for your family to cope with both your grandad's parkinson's and your gran's alzheimer's. Believe me - you will have bought them so much pleasure over the years and brightened their lives. My son is 15
and is in the same positon as you as his grandma (my mum)has had alzheimer's now for about 10 years. my son is brilliant with my mum and can always make her laugh /smile. I then found out through his school nurse how upset he has been but didn't want to worry me! It's lovely to hear your story and am glad your gran is doing better. Let us know how she progresses.

Big hug to you :)

Caroline x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi there

Thank you for sharing your story - it was so lovely to read and very encouraging. I am sure if my husband suffers a big infection and all seems quite hopeless, I will remember your gran and also someone else's husband on Talking Point who also made a dramatic recovery. It is wonderful to know that there is always room for hope.

Your gran and grandad are very fortunate to have you and I, too, hope that you have many more moments of joyous wonder together.

Love and best wishes

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Smilebaby:
Your post is most refreshing. Whenever I have to face another downturn with my husband I will think of you and your Gran. You remind us all that we must never give up HOPE.

Love Jan

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Bless you!

What an amazing story, you are very strong.
This sounds very similar to my dad he's 60, 3 weeks ago, he was at home, he could dress, eat and shower, take the dog out, etc now after going to hospital to get his medication stabilised, hes now section, cant do anything for himself its unbelievable. Thanks for your story there was talk about him having an infection a couple of weeks ago, but since Drs have him heavily sedated no=ones mentioned it again. I will ask the question and get this looked into as a possibility. Your family are so lucky to have you. Lots of love.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Makalu

During the summer my husband had an infection and it caused a rapid deterioration. I really did not think that he would recover as it went on and on. I was assured by people on Talking Point that sometimes it's like that with infection but I had no personal previous experience. After quite a lot of weeks my husband significantly improved and returned near to his normal self.

Wishing you well and hoping that your dad will significantly recover.

Love

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Thank you.

Hi Helen, I had been putting it down to the medication but as he has gone downhill so quickly i believe after reading all your posts that it could be possible he has a uti or something, especially as he looks so unclean. I will definitely look into this, and I am glad your husband got better what a relief, we all feel so helpless.
Great advice all, many thanks

x

amnmont

Aug 11, 2008
southampton, hampshire
Smilebaby - thank you for that post. Although it made me cry!! My mum went into a home yesterday - she's only 60 and I spent all day thinking that I'd lost her and that my mum had gone forever but I should be looking forward to more good times with her as there will be. As you say, this horrible disease will never go away but we can enjoy the good times whilst our loved ones are still with us. Thank you x

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Be strong.....

Amnont - be strong your lovely mum will be safe now. My dad went in begininng of November for assessment and probably wont ever come out. We are devastated, life will never be the same without him at home, but i think how my poor dad must be feeling. However, he is now having 24 hour care with people who are used to looking after patients with dementia. My dad was 60 too. Heartbreaking, but you have to look after yourself and the rest of your family. For all your sake. Im watching my mum crumble into pieces at the moment and it feels like i am losing two parents, its a grieving process for us but we have love and each other to get through it. Good luck and Im here if you want a private chat via TP XX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell