I have left her and now I am the replacement

woodpony

Nov 22, 2017
Wiltshire
I am caring for a lady who has vascular dementia. Last night she began to cry and I asked her what was the matter? Margaret replied " Why has he left me after all these years, what did I do ?" I explained that I hadn't gone and I was still here and would always be here. What is happening. She has just started to take Memantine along with Donepezil.? Has anyone else experienced this type of feelings.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @woodpony

What you describe is quite common although I haven’t experienced it myself I know other members have. In the evening it could be due to sundowning. As she’s just started to take new medication I would go and talk to her doctor and see if this might be part of the problem. Another possibility is an infection so again see her doctor.

Is she still as confused this morning? Sundowning tends to happen in the late afternoon to evening when confusion increases as the PWD gets tired.

It sometimes helps to pretend that you will be back soon. Some find that leaving the room and announcing themselves by name when they come back in helps the person the recognise them.

This link may give you some more ideas on how to cope.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

woodpony

Nov 22, 2017
Wiltshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @woodpony

What you describe is quite common although I haven’t experienced it myself I know other members have. In the evening it could be due to sundowning. As she’s just started to take new medication I would go and talk to her doctor and see if this might be part of the problem. Another possibility is an infection so again see her doctor.

Is she still as confused this morning? Sundowning tends to happen in the late afternoon to evening when confusion increases as the PWD gets tired.

It sometimes helps to pretend that you will be back soon. Some find that leaving the room and announcing themselves by name when they come back in helps the person the recognise them.

This link may give you some more ideas on how to cope.

Thank you for responding to my post the link was a great help.