Where to go next?

Chip14

Nov 18, 2019
This is my first post on here so please bear with me.

My partners father has just very recently had the memory clinic tests and has been told he needs a scan as the tests indicate some form of dementia.

Given that his father lives alone, I am looking for advice as to what help is available for him and when to start asking for it? Everything I have read so far says the earlier the better, but some guidance on who to ask and at what stage would be so helpful.

Thank you in advance

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Sorry to hear about your partner's father, but I am sure you'll find help here.

Do you have lasting power of attorney? If not, arrange this as soon as possible. Your partner's dad will have to agree to it, and sign the forms.

If your relative has the funds to pay for care, once you have access to his funds you can arrange whatever is necessary - which to begin with might mean someone getting his shopping and providing meals, and then increasing the hours as necessary. You can find a care agency by googling 'dementia care at home' plus the location, the manager will come round to assess him, and ask for your input as to what care is necessary. My mother had private carers for 18 months and they did anything required - took her shopping, to doctor's appointments, to the park, made her meals, did the housework, fed the cat, provided company.

If you need Social Services to provide the care, they will not step in until there is a significant problem, and while you can get a needs assessment now it is unlikely they will do anything useful (if they deem no help is needed they will then close the case, so when things deteriorate you will be starting from scratch). SS will just do the basics - personal care such as help with washing and dressing, and providing a quick meal and cuppa.