Insurance in care home

Pootle23

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone
Is there such a thing as insurance to cover personal possessions whilst in a care home?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi. I've not heard of insurance specifically aimed at care home resident's possessions.Things can easily get broken or lost so the best thing is to ensure that nothing of value, either monetary or sentimental, is taken in. Is there something specific that you want to insure?

Pootle23

Oct 21, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Dad in the last month has lost his glasses and a top set of dentures in his care home and replacing is going to be costly just wondered if there is such a thing available either to cover these or the replacements. Dreading it being a regular occurrence!

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Pootle23 - your request intrigued me ... especially as so many things go missing in Care Homes. I did a quick 'Google' and there is a company that offers it!!

However, although I didn't delve deeper, it would appear that the policy is obviously designed for those in ordinary residential care rather than dementia care. When I got to the bit about expensive jewellery and family heirlooms I couldn't stop laughing ...

I would guess that the small print has a shed load of exclusions, and the following statement in their description would pretty much obviate liability for most of the cases of 'borrowing' that happen ...
*This insurance excludes claims resulting from theft or attempted theft unless following violent and forcible entry. We will only pay for the portion of contents which belong to you or your family.

If I claimed for all the stuff my Mum has lost while she has been in her CH, both by her own hand and from acquiring by other residents, I think I would be blacklisted from the insurance company or my premium would be sky high!

Pootle23

Oct 21, 2019
Thanks @ToonyOony I’m probably clutching at straws just so frustrated at the loss of a £300 pair of glasses really quite likely lost by my Dads own hand and top set of dentures all in the last few week. At least it gave you a bit of a laugh!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell