New member looking for advice

Cheesy biscuits

Oct 27, 2019
Hi. My mum has Alzheimers disease, she was diagnosed last December and despite memory problems and limited mobility was living very well with my Dad and my sister until my Dad passed away in January after a short illness. Since then she has severely deteriorated. She is now in a care home as it got to the stage where she couldn't do anything for herself and she was having having repeated falls and my sister struggled to look after her alone (I live in a different town and see them weekly). I have some concerns about the care home, my mum seems to have had more falls since she's been there. Last week she fell and had to be admitted to a&e. The head carer told my sister that my mum's behaviour is disruptive and she asks for help to the toilet or out of bed and they don't help to encourage her to do more herself but if she doesn't get the help she gets frustrated and angry. This last fall followed a period of this behaviour, the carer told my sister the fall was deliberate and that she's doing these things for attention so that my sister will go and visit. They've even told my sister to stay away saying that my mum's behaviour is triggered by her visits. My mum has high anxiety which is worse during restless nights, it's not uncommon for her to ring either me or my sister and beg us to take her home. I do know that mum's relationship with my sister is totally different to the one she has with me and I very rarely see any of this behaviour. However, I was so shocked that someone in charge of dementia patients care could think any of was deliberate what is worse my sister complete believes it. My mum doesn't remember from one moment to the next so I find it hard to believe she has any control of her emotions or behaviour. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or could possibly give me some advice? I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to support my sister.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Cheesy biscuits
a warm welcome to DTP
it's tricky isn't it when your own visits seem different from someone else's, and what you hear from staff doesn't seem to quite tie up
so I'm glad you've joined us to be able to share experiences and have ideas from other members

I see you have already started a separate thread and have responses there .... so will just say Hi here :)

Cheesy biscuits

Oct 27, 2019
hello @Cheesy biscuits
a warm welcome to DTP
it's tricky isn't it when your own visits seem different from someone else's, and what you hear from staff doesn't seem to quite tie up
so I'm glad you've joined us to be able to share experiences and have ideas from other members

I see you have already started a separate thread and have responses there .... so will just say Hi here :)
Hi yes sorry I thought I'd posted in the wrong place so decided to start again. Hope that was okay xx

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello and welcome.

I couldn't find your other thread so I don't know what the replies were. I never had this problem with dad's care home but my suggestion would be for you and your sister to talk to the manager.

MaNaAk