The Autumn trees cry falling leaves ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Tonight will be the first time that I have changed the clocks without my wife being here to question what I am up to. It will not be the last as, nearly 6 months on from her original 'trial period' in residential care, it is clear that she'll never be coming home. Walking through leaf-strewn streets today and reflecting on what has changed in the last 12 months, the opening lines of the song Winter of my Life as performed by Chris Farlowe came to my mind. It may have been serendipity that led me to look it up on the web and find out that the splendidly over the top Farlowe will be performing in Newcastle in just a few weeks time.

I've seen him many times before but not for several years since my wife's illness took hold. She has entered a twilight world that really does seem like the winter of her life but I'm not ready for that yet awhile. It will be strange going to the gig without her but that is something that I need to get used to if I am to regain some kind of social life.

As for the song, the dramatic rendition will not be to everyone's taste but it may be worth a listen. It always brings a smile to my face.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
If Freddie Mercury had ever covered A Winter's Tale by David Essex I think it would have sounded a bit like that, Northumbrian_k. I hope you enjoy the concert.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I actually cant resist listenting to other peoples musical experiences, But my god when I started playing it I felt like I was back in the mid-1970's, my mum and dad playing something either on the TV or radio and for a moment I felt like I was back where home used to be.

Thanks for sharing this song, it isn't to my taste but it brought back something I had forgotten -how much I felt safe back then and how much my mum was so different :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I like that @northumbrian_k. I’m sorry to admit I’d never heard of him!:oops: I hope you enjoy the concert. I’ve now got used going to events by myself. It was odd to begin with but I made myself do it and now have no problem being on my own. Although it’s not something you would have wanted I’m sure you’ll feel the same.

What an interesting thought @nae sporran - a Freddie Mercury cover of A Winter’s Tale - I love that song.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Stick with all the positive musical memories. The saddest of all is Peggy Lee “Is that all there is”. I love her singing but my God the words are a bummer.

@Izzy I had started going to theatre and concerts on my own before John was diagnosed as that was one of his odd behaviours. He would always say he would go anywhere I liked but would at the last minute have some compelling duty to perform for his sister.

Looking forward to going back to some concerts again.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Does anyone else think Chris Farlowe sounds like David Essex - or is that just because @nae sporran mentioned him..

I love that song @PalSal. It reminds me of my youth in the 80s when Frank was popular with all my friends. My daughter and her friends all love him now - and I’ve never played any Sinatra for her so it’s not my influence.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I was never a great one for going to the cinema but started going with my wife when I retired and rather enjoyed it until that too became one more thing that she could not do. The last film we saw together was '3 Billboards' back in February 2018. Now, with the new Ken Loach film about to be released, it may be a good time to start spending winter afternoons in a darkened room - but no popcorn please!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Does anyone else think Chris Farlowe sounds like David Essex - or is that just because @nae sporran mentioned him..

I have never noticed any resemblance between the stentorian Farlowe and the more reedy David Essex but they are both Londoners (Islington and Plaistow) so maybe that is the source of any similarity.

The Farlowe song is from a 'lost gem' album of 1970 which was in a style far removed from his usual blues and soul style. He'll always be known for 'Out of Time' @Bikerbeth but 'Handbags and Gladrags' ,which was written for him by Mike D'Abo, is usually credited to later acts. As well as singing the blues with the Thunderbirds and Norman Beaker, he provided lead vocals for jazz-rock/progressive/blues outfit Colosseum for many years.

But it is in live concert that he really excels even if at age 79 his voice is less of a weapon than in earlier days.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Stick with all the positive musical memories. The saddest of all is Peggy Lee “Is that all there is”. I love her singing but my God the words are a bummer.

@Izzy I had started going to theatre and concerts on my own before John was diagnosed as that was one of his odd behaviours. He would always say he would go anywhere I liked but would at the last minute have some compelling duty to perform for his sister.

Looking forward to going back to some concerts again.
I have never noticed any resemblance between the stentorian Farlowe and the more reedy David Essex but they are both Londoners (Islington and Plaistow) so maybe that is the source of any similarity.

The Farlowe song is from a 'lost gem' album of 1970 which was in a style far removed from his usual blues and soul style. He'll always be known for 'Out of Time' @Bikerbeth but 'Handbags and Gladrags' ,which was written for him by Mike D'Abo, is usually credited to later acts. As well as singing the blues with the Thunderbirds and Norman Beaker, he provided lead vocals for jazz-rock/progressive/blues outfit Colosseum for many years.

But it is in live concert that he really excels even if at age 79 his voice is less of a weapon than in earlier days.
Thank you for that reminder @northumbrian_I loved Farlowe back in the day and didn’t know he was still on the road. Enjoy that voice ....A x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Oh the Peggy Lee @marionq . My mum wanted that played at her 90th birthday party, but I persuaded her against it. She danced to Queen's 'Don't stop me now' instead.
I've never seen Chris Farlowe but I loved his 'Handbags and Gladrags'.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I recently attended a concert of someone people in the UK will never heard of but one of the songs he sang (and wrote) really resonated with me as I think it will with other TPers.

I haven't a clue how to post a link but it is on YouTube, his name is Mike McClellan and the song is called Dance in the Rain. He is a brilliant guitarist and the words have a message that is for all of us.

While listening to it during the concert, I found I had a tear in my eye.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The late Eva Cassidy was one of my wife's favourites and her rendition of Autumn Leaves is so poignant and speaks so much of loss that I have given it a separate posting.

Last edited: