Donepezil

Littlerocker

Oct 6, 2019
Hi , my dad has been diagnosed with severe Alzheimer’s dementia and will be starting to take donepenzil daily. My question is the doctor had said to take them in the morning with food but all the other paperwork says to take them just before going to bed . I’m confused as to what’s best .

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Hi , my dad has been diagnosed with severe Alzheimer’s dementia and will be starting to take donepenzil daily. My question is the doctor had said to take them in the morning with food but all the other paperwork says to take them just before going to bed . I’m confused as to what’s best .

I remember it did say to take at night , I think its because of potential side effects (fainting?) so you would sleep through them? However my Dad, who lives alone, was already in the habit of taking his tablets in the morning so we all decided It would be better for him to take all his tablets together as he would never beable to cope with a new routine. Luckily he hasn't had any side effects and its been fine for him.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

My mum has always taken donepezil in the morning and she has been fine. There are side effects of people experiencing unsteadiness after taking it, which is why the advice is to give it at bedtime to reduce the risk of falls. But if your dad is ok and doesn't experience this then I don't see why he shouldn't take it in the morning.

Here is a good link for you on donepzil, be sure to look around the website

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/donepezil-hydrochloride.html

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
My husband, who also has advanced Parkinson’s takes Donepezil 10mg at night which is how his neurologist prescribed it.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My mum started this medication two weeks ago and she takes it in the morning just after breakfast. Haven’t noticed any side effects and so far it has helped her think more clearly.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Littlerocker you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

My wife has taken Donepezil in the morning and at night on different occasions. When she took it in the morning my wife suffered the common side effect of nausea. When taken at night(usual) the side effect isn't present.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum takes Donepezil in the morning before breakfast, she has been taking it for over 4 years with no side effects.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Hi @Littlerocker Welcome to the forum. My dad has Donepezil too and was told to take it in the evening as directed by the GP. He had other tablets to take for other ailments, so I assumed this was taken into consideration as well as other matters that we may not know about as non-health professional.

Personally I would go by how the doctor directly but if you're still concerned, put in call to the practice to double check that is how your dad should take it.

gentle giant

Apr 30, 2019
I remember it did say to take at night , I think its because of potential side effects (fainting?) so you would sleep through them? However my Dad, who lives alone, was already in the habit of taking his tablets in the morning so we all decided It would be better for him to take all his tablets together as he would never beable to cope with a new routine. Luckily he hasn't had any side effects and its been fine for him.

Hi, my wife recently received her diagnosis(Alzheimer's) and was prescribed Donepezil, i asked if it was ok to take it in the morning as i work late and she has often gone to bed before i'm home. Therefore i can oversee her medication in the morning, i was told this was fine.

Littlerocker

Oct 6, 2019
Many Thanks for all your advice, my main problem is that dad lives alone and has so far refused any help ( he’s nearly 95 ) and I work full time and go and see him after work everyday . I’m not sure if he will remember to take the tablet when he gets up as at the moment he’s getting up 2-3 times a night thinking it the morning and then telephones me to ask when I will be down or what’s the time/day . I’ve not started him on the tablets yet.
I’m sure I will come up with a solution at some point

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Many Thanks for all your advice, my main problem is that dad lives alone and has so far refused any help ( he’s nearly 95 ) and I work full time and go and see him after work everyday . I’m not sure if he will remember to take the tablet when he gets up as at the moment he’s getting up 2-3 times a night thinking it the morning and then telephones me to ask when I will be down or what’s the time/day . I’ve not started him on the tablets yet.
I’m sure I will come up with a solution at some point

Dear Littlerocker,

If possible someone needs to be present when your dad takes his tablet in case he overdoses. I have a friend who left her sister in charge of her dad's care when she went into hospital and he got up in the night and helped himself. This put him in hospital and left my friend's sister with a lot explaining.

MaNaAk

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
been taking Aricept for twenty years always in evening just looked on box it says
This medicien is normally taken at bedtime