So long Marianne

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
11 years ago I was driving with my wife and listening to a radio 4 piece about the lifelong love between Leonard Cohen and his muse, Marianne Ehlen. In those happy days I could enjoy the shared experience and talk about such things with her.

Tonight I've enjoyed watching a film on the same subject. But my wife is no longer physically here or mentally capable of sharing it with me. It will be pointless to mention it when I visit her tomorrow but I'll probably try. Perhaps some of the care staff will show some interest.

Such is the loneliness that dementia inflicts on those who are left behind.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There have been so many programmes and events I feel my husband would have really enjoyed.

It hits me every time I think he`s missed out.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
That sense of loss never goes I think. My
Mother was widowed in 1944 aged 32 and decades later would say to me how much my Dad would have loved to watch boxing on TV as he was an amateur boxer. So if you’ve loved someone you probably always carry a torch for them even when life moves on.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not the same as a partner, but my father died long before my children were born, but I know he would have enjoyed their sporting success. I do tell my children this, but they don't understand as they have never heard much about him and it is too remote.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
About 10 years ago I was driving with my wife and listening to a radio piece about the lifelong love between Leonard Cohen and his muse, Marianne Ehlen. In those happy days I could enjoy the shared experience and talk about such things with her.

Tonight I've enjoyed watching a film on the same subject. But my wife is no longer physically here or mentally capable of sharing it with me. It will be pointless to mention it when I visit her tomorrow but I'll probably try. Perhaps some of the care staff will show some interest.

Such is the loneliness that dementia inflicts on those who are left behind.
It moved me to tears the letter Leonard wrote to Marianne so very sad but uplifting always holding their hand and following behind xx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I understand your situation northumbrian_k (OH in care home)

Trying to share precious memories with loved one who is still here but yet not here - deep sadness and loneliness.

Lilac x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B