Hip Surgery

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
So sorry to hear your news and how suddenly things have gone downhill.

I have suspected for a number of years that ex husband has had a slow progressing dementia and he has been dealing with prostate cancer for a long time. He lived independently in a retirement village.

A few weeks ago he had a minor heart attack and since then there has been a rapid decline in his condition. He was hospitalised and they removed a couple of litres of fluid from his lungs and during a chest x-Ray found a tumor on his left lung. He is not eating, needs catheterisation and needs help to get out of bed. My kids are shocked at the decline and at long last my son has finally admitted that he could see quite clearly why I had thought dementia was present,.

We have just spent a morning cleaning out his home as he is now been moved to a nursing home and my kids are exhausted at trying to get everything arranged - bank information,finalizing the retitirement village and getting support services arranged. Unless things improve, he won't last too long .So this is their first experience with fare welling a close relative and they are finding it totally exhausting.

So I do hope that your experience will make your road ahead a little easier

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I'm sorry to read about the latest on your husband @marionq. I wish you and him well. I'm tempted to recount how well my mum 'recovered' after her stroke. She recovered her swallow and movement in the affected arm and was even walking, albeit briefly, before the next series of strokes came. I know it will be different for everyone, but mum surprised us all. I guess what I'm saying is that some things can improve for a while. I never doubted the decline would return of course, but it was a bit of brightness amongst the dark times. Mum didn't have surgery though, so a different matter. A difficult time for you, and I sympathise.