Ambulance called from care home for psychosis assessment

Jo108

Aug 26, 2019
Hi
My dad has mixed dementia and has been in a residential home for just under 3weeks. He has had good days but also has become aggressive and challenging. He has been prescribed different medications and he doesn’t appear to be much better. The care hone has rang and they have called an ambulance because of dads behaviour. Trying to climb on window sills, kicking and trying to get out. I don’t know where he will go or what will happen next. The home will call me to see if I need to go with him
Can anyone help me???

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hi
My dad has mixed dementia and has been in a residential home for just under 3weeks. He has had good days but also has become aggressive and challenging. He has been prescribed different medications and he doesn’t appear to be much better. The care hone has rang and they have called an ambulance because of dads behaviour. Trying to climb on window sills, kicking and trying to get out. I don’t know where he will go or what will happen next. The home will call me to see if I need to go with him
Can anyone help me???
Sorry to hear what has happened to your father I personally would go to the home if you live near enough. My husband’s care home phoned me the other morning at 4.30am because of a fall and I went straight over, Hope this helps

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Jo108 I’m glad you have found the forum you will get support here.
You may feel happier if you go so you can have an input and know what is happening but don’t worry the paramedics are used to situations like this and will know how to deal with your Dad.

Jo108

Aug 26, 2019
Hello @Jo108 I’m glad you have found the forum you will get support here.
You may feel happier if you go so you can have an input and know what is happening but don’t worry the paramedics are used to situations like this and will know how to deal with your Dad.

Jo108

Aug 26, 2019
Thank you for your replies I’ve been at the hospital for 6 hours with dad. He’s still there sleeping off a high dose of lorazepam. He needed to have a ct scan to rule out a bleed but he became aggressive in the hospital. I fear now the care home will refuse to have him back?? The hospital have said that there may be no medical reason to keep him there.
The care home has already mentioned they may not be able to meet his needs. He’s only been there for 2 1/2 weeks, all others in there are either sleeping or frail, dad is very mobile still. Fingers crossed they have him back.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you for your replies I’ve been at the hospital for 6 hours with dad. He’s still there sleeping off a high dose of lorazepam. He needed to have a ct scan to rule out a bleed but he became aggressive in the hospital. I fear now the care home will refuse to have him back?? The hospital have said that there may be no medical reason to keep him there.
The care home has already mentioned they may not be able to meet his needs. He’s only been there for 2 1/2 weeks, all others in there are either sleeping or frail, dad is very mobile still. Fingers crossed they have him back.

Ask for a discharge plan meeting including representative from care home.
The hospital can’t discharge him back to care home without their input.

You might have to walk away from this a bit, let the care home fight it out about meds etc with the hospital. Go & get something to eat & some sleep. Then it’s time to get the “big girl pants on” & be obstinate & request medication to be trialed in hospital!
Ps.
I have had similar experiences & found that saying no is now easier!!!
No I don’t agree... oh that doesn’t go down well but that’s not my problem. Work with the care home team
Good luck
X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27