First Post

Eyghon

Oct 17, 2008
Rotherham
Hi All,

I'm here because I'm looking for advice.

A bit of background info first.

My Wife & I moved next door to Nell and her Husband Doug in 1991 and we became Friends. I used to take Nell shopping, She would shout me round to go and have my dinner with them and they would baby sit my Daughter when she was born in 1994, they treated us like the family they never had. Doug had a stroke in 1993 I used to go round on an evening and help get him upstairs to bed etc. In 1995 they moved to a bungalow on the Sheltered Housing estate which is at the bottom of our Garden and literally just round the corner, Doug died later that year and I was with them both in the Hospital when he passed away. Nell doesn't have any Family on her side and no contact with any Family on Doug's side with the exception of the very occassional contact from his Sister. Nell considers me to be her Son and as such I was priveledged to accompany Nell in the Herse at Dougs funeral. Nell is like a Mother\Grandmother to myself, my Wife and Daughter.

Now on to the difficult bit, I'm just going to write stuff as it comes to me so please bear with me.

Over the last few Months Nell has changed considerably, she has become confused & forgetful and has talked about hallucinations and dreams (more on that later). She has been in a powered wheel chair for several years and before that when she could still walk she had a scooter. She used to go to the Bingo on a evening held by the Wardens at the Community Centre, she has now stopped going and is using the building work as the reason (they are building some new full time care flats), I think actually she is afraid of what people will think about her being forgetfull etc.

I have to go over things several times with her and she will say something in the Kitchen while I'm making a drink and then 5 mins later we'll have the same conversation again.
Nell is forgetting to take her tablets, some of which are quite important. She is currently taking Bendroflumethiazide, Lansoprazole, Digoxin, Allopurinol and up to last week Ramipril which I had changed to Cozaar after reading about the side effects of Ramipril some of which appear to fit her current symptoms. Lansoprazole & Digoxin also appear to cause similar problems. Nell has talked about Hallucinations where she would look at some fluff or something on the floor and it would start to move, she said she would even try to touch it. She has mentioned surfaces appearing to have a honeycomb\wire netting type effect and has mentioned other very vivid Hallucinations.

She mentioned a couple of weeks ago that said was sitting outside in the early hours of the morning wondering why I wasn't there, maybe this was a dream, maybe not.

On a few occassions lately she has phoned me late in the evening to say she can hear a whistling, I spent 20 mins trying to convince her that there wasn't anything in the corner she mentioned that could whistle but she wouldn't rest until I went round. I went round and there was no noise but she said she could hear it everywhere including outside, I tried to explain that it was probably Tinitus and it was after this episode I had the Doctor out to swap the Ramipril.

Yesterday Nell phoned me to tell me she had accidentally thrown her teeth away and unfortunately on bin collection day, from what she said she cleaned her teeth and then for some unknown reason she says she put them on the wall next to the bin outside but I'm still trying to get her to remember why she did this.

This morning She rang to ask if I had been round last night, I hadn't but when I went round this afternoon she said she rang me last night (she didn't) and asked me to go round, in this "Dream" she was sitting in her chair in the Bedroom and when I went in she was crying, I went and put my arms around her and she then started to tell me how sorry she was that she was causing me all these problems and worry, she says "these dreams are as real as I'm talking to you now".
Nell seems convinced what she is currently experiencing is down to the tablets, my own fear is what seems a very rapid onset of Dementia in one form or another. When I had the Doctor out last week I was hoping Nell would explain about the hallucinations etc but she didn't. I do actually think Nell may well know what is happening and she is scared of that and trying to pin it on the medication or anything else because that is obviously easier for her to accept. I was trying to give the Doctor hints without actually mentioning Dementia etc, he didn't say anything if he did notice the changes.

One other incident that has just come to mind is that a few ago she phoned me up one morning to say the Doctors had rung her and told her she had Parkinsons, I obviously immediately contacted the Surgery and no such call was made.
Nell keeps asking me what I think this is, do I think she is losing it etc?, I don't know what to say to this so I'm going with the medication point of view for the time being. I have mentioned a few times lately that it's just part of getting older (she is now 82) and that if we can get "the problem" diagnosed they can hopefully slow down the onset but I haven't mentioned Dementia\Altzheimers. I don't know how to broach the subject with her or who I should approach about it to get her diagnosed etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Craig

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
You must talk to her gp if you make a appointment for her put everything down in writing and give itr to him before.
it only the gp that can get things moving.
also ring the socail services they will be able to advise you on the help available
hth

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Craig.......................

I agree with Heartbroken, you can only get help for Nell through her GP.

Make some notes, keep a diary for a couple of weeks and then see her GP. Although you are not next of kin I think you will find the GP grateful to accept a neighbour willing to take responsibility, especially someone with a history such as yours.

I used to care for my neighbour but only in his final years. Even so, his GP and his solicitor were quite happy to discuss his needs with me as they believed I was acting in his best interests.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Craig

I am sorry that Nell is going through this but glad to know that she has you to care for her.

I think it might help if you wrote to her GP in a very similar manner to your thread here (or print it off and send it). With Nell not being directly related it could be very beneficial to get the ball rolling at this stage rather than wait because there may be many steps that need to be taken and you may need to have some official recognition. Contacting the GP, saying what you have said on TP, is a good start.

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Love

Eyghon

Oct 17, 2008
Rotherham
Thanks for the replies.

I dropped a letter into the Doctors and he rang me yesterday evening, he says he did pick up on the changes in Nell and is arranging for a blood test which is the first step and then I guess the hard work begins.

Nell says she had a phone call to say they were coming out yesterday to do the blood test but they didn't arrive, she couldn't remember if the call was from the Hospital or Doctors Surgery and because it was so late in the day I wasn't able to contact anyone to confirm the visit. It would be so much easier if they contacted myself and I then let Nell know and wrote it in her Diary.

If I am making appointments for her I always leave my number as the contact but obviously the Doctor\Hospital have Nell's number, should I leave all this until she is Diagnosed or should I go ahead and try to get her contact details updated?

Regards

Craig

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

I would try to get Nell`s contact details updated. There is no point Nell taking calls when she is unable to convey an accurate message.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Craig
I certainly hope that I have a neighbour as good as yourself should I become ill as Nell obviously has:D:D

I go with my MIL, who I call mum to all hospital/doctors appointments. I now have asked the doctors/hospital to contact me first and not to contact mum at all with regard to appointments. I sort out a convenient time for me then write it in mum's diary.

Hope this helps?

Julie x

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Craig You Are Truly A Wonderful Person, Nell Sound's Like A Lovely Lady And Is So Lucky To Have You.
What I Did With Mum Was Hand The Gp Or Receptionist Etc My Telephone Number And Give A Brief Statement Of What The Problem Is And That It Would Be Better If You Were Contacted So Nell Does Not Miss Important Appointments. That Way You Have Piece Of Mind That You Get The Info On Time.( Sometimes You Have To Quite Direct)
Best Wishes To You Xx

Eyghon

Oct 17, 2008
Rotherham
Hi All,

The Doctor is due to visit Nell tomorrow, she had a blood test last week so hopefully he will have the results of that.

Over the last few weeks when Nell has been talking about being depressed etc I have been replying with "that's something you need to tell the Doctor when he comes", I doubt she will remember me saying it but I don't know how else to try and help her realise something isn't right and that she needs to tell him how she is feeling.

I will be there when the Doctor visits but I am absolutely petrified of saying anything in front of Nell to either upset her or cause argument, she has always spoken her mind but in all the years we have known each other I haven't been on the wrong side of her and don't want to start now.

If Nell does have Dementia is the Doctor likely to just tell her there and then or would she be sent for further tests?

I'm just having a read of the Factsheet's at the moment.

Regards

Craig

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

If Nell does have Dementia is the Doctor likely to just tell her there and then or would she be sent for further tests?

IT depends on the doctor. If s/he`s any sense s/he will be grateful you are there and happy to discuss with you. If you can make eye contact with the doctor you can send facial messages without upsetting Nell or you can have a small notepad with you and jot down any information if need be.

Just try to make sure you sit slightly behind Nell, out of her vision.

I know it sounds a bit cloak and dagger but it`s in her best interests.

Please post an update and Good Luck.

Eyghon

Oct 17, 2008
Rotherham
Hi Sylvia,

That's not really possible unfortunately, she is in her powered wheel chair and it's not really possible to sit behind her due to the layout of the room etc. I'll see how it goes.

Craig

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Good luck Craig, dont feel bad about what you are doing for Nell as in the long run it is to help her, always keep that in mind.
Nell might be angry from time to time but I am sure she will forget any hostility toward you.

calamityjane

Apr 13, 2006
Criag
You are an angel where would Nell be without you i found neighbour`s of my mother`s avoided her when she started getting ill, oh yes they might hello but only if cornered i think they thought it was contagious.If only more people were careing like you wouldn`t the world be such a better place .Once you help her get the diagnoses hopefully she can get support services in and it will relieve the burden on you alone.