Man and dog

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi TPers....
Well, I just wanted to show you the latest in the happy daycare goer. Our wonderful daycare has found two women volunteers who happen to be members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints (we are not) But these lovely, caring people volunteer to take Nick for walks with their lovely Red Cross Dogs. How cool is that!
Once again I did not have to do anything the daycare took care of it all.
Just look at his face ....what could be better for Nick than a walk and a dog! Just look at his smile.
Blessed are volunteers.

Attachments

• NIck and daycare dog.JPG
    NIck and daycare dog.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Man and dog.JPG
    Man and dog.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 282

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Beautiful photos and beautiful dog! Therapy dogs and dementia dogs are available here. I think it’s wonderful.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Yes, it was a very long time before my hubby was willing to go to a daycare. It was only when my leukemia returned last summer in 2018 that i was desperate for more help. He went for 1.5 hours to the Red Cross daycare and they would not keep him. So, I went back to the Alz Society here and told them what was happening. The former Pres of Alz Society here contacted me. She has moved on and now is the elderly care advisor for my village. Can you believe my good luck! She stepped right in and told me about this daycare which is much further out, but has transport etc. This daycare has been a Godsend for me. And they are so professional and conscientious. Nicky is 11 years younger than the next youngest person in care there. So, they do special things for him, like finding volunteers to walk with him. As of this week he attends 3 days a week. I will now learn to play Mahjong on Friday afternoons....life is full of surprises.

But the sad truth is I find it all very hard like all of us carers do. We are now experiencing relatively minor but annoying toilet problems ....in part because I am too lazy to get up and go with him to the toilet....which is a major form of entertainment for him. Sometimes he is in the bathroom 4 or 5 times in an hour. I do not always join him and inevitably that is the time I should have.
I sent him outside with a broom and dustpan to sweep the leaves. I do not expect any results....just want him out of my way. I look out he has completely forgotten about the broom and is picking up one leaf at a time looking at it....trying to decide what to do with it. Then he returns to his chair and stares at me wanting me to entertain him or propose an outing. I can only complain about these things here on TP as others do not want to hear about this stuff. It is unpleasant and disturbing and I do not want to be seen as a moaner. So, I am here dumping and then will continue to be grateful that he will now go to daycare 3 days a week and I will stay in the problems & joys of today and not try to look into the future

Last edited: