Dealing with incontinence

Juba

Jul 27, 2019
I care for my husband who is gradually having more and more continence problems and often ends up with wet clothes that need changing. This is really upsetting for him - and me, as he gets so upset that most times he will not let me help him change or clean up until a short while afterwards.
He often is upset and gets angry when I try to help initially so I've started to walk away for a moment or so and then go back to ask if he wants help. After a few times he'll usually let me help him.
He's now starting to have more accidents outside the home. I've tried to persuade and encourage him to wear the pants or pads but he's very resistant to this and it's a major battle if I can get him to wear them - and I'm not always able to do this as he gets so agitated. I sometimes think it's just not worth it.
I'm really disappointed about the choice (or lack of) pants for men. They look nothing like his usual pants and so after looking online I finally found some continence pants that were supposedly 'discreet'. They were black (like most of his usual pants) and even had a fly so he could go to the loo as usual if he got there. 'Great thinks I' but then they arrive and they've got a big white pad inside. When I first showed them to him, he readily accepted them and started to pull them on thinking they were his usual pants but then saw the pad! That was the end of them and, to be honest, the fit wasn't as good as the main high street brand.
I'm hoping that someone may have found somewhere that sells black continence pants that don't have a white pad?
I'm writing this after reading Amanda's story about how she is dealing with incontinence in her dementia. I thought she made some great points and also recognised the lack of choice, and dignity actually, that we seem to afford in designing appropriate discrete pants for people. My husband is in complete denial about his dementia (early onset) and so really can't understand why the pants might be helpful for him being able to keep dry. I have some sympathy having seen what he's expected to wear so any suggestions really welcome please!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
https://www.allaboutincontinence.co..._018bvyBnoRmvpQArjv5VQeofP9f9ddkaAsaaEALw_wcB

Hi @Juba

I did a quick Google Search and found the above. I used similar for my dad but he wore white pants so I can't be sure that the pad isn't white inside. I had exactly the same problem getting my dad to accept pads or pull-ups and ended up telling him they were extra comfy pants the doctor prescribed for him to stop him getting pressure sores as he spent a lot of time sitting down. He accepted this but quite often forgot to put his pants on and went commando!
Unfortunately those pants are only for light incontinence so eventually the nappy type products become necessary.

I know just how frustrating it is as it would've been a simple problem to manage if dad had just accepted the need for pads/pull-ups. It's a pity all those ads on TV that suggest that women are wetting themselves all the time (from a very early age and are quite happy about it - hmm... ) don't have adds aimed at men too.
In my experience it's very much a male problem as well so why isn't it shown?

Juba

Jul 27, 2019
[Hi @Juba

I did a quick Google Search and found the above. I used similar for my dad but he wore white pants so I can't be sure that the pad isn't white inside. I had exactly the same problem getting my dad to accept pads or pull-ups and ended up telling him they were extra comfy pants the doctor prescribed for him to stop him getting pressure sores as he spent a lot of time sitting down. He accepted this but quite often forgot to put his pants on and went commando!
Unfortunately those pants are only for light incontinence so eventually the nappy type products become necessary.

I know just how frustrating it is as it would've been a simple problem to manage if dad had just accepted the need for pads/pull-ups. It's a pity all those ads on TV that suggest that women are wetting themselves all the time (from a very early age and are quite happy about it - hmm... ) don't have adds aimed at men too.
In my experience it's very much a male problem as well so why isn't it shown?[/QUOTE]
Hi @Juba

In my experience it's very much a male problem as well so why isn't it shown?

Hi,
I totally agree with your comments re. public conversations about male incontinence. I've mentioned this to the staff who support us as I feel it would be really helpful for professionals to raise this. As a woman I feel that throughout my life I've had access to advice about how to deal with potentially 'difficult' issues including female incontinence but it just doesn't seem to apply to men. No wonder then that it comes as a massive shock to people - and less understandable is the refusal of 'the market' to actually consider supplying suitable solutions.
I've found some black pants (with many thanks to other member) which appear to be really like 'usual' pants but they also are for 'light continence' but I'm just hoping it buys enough time to break down some barriers. I'll post any useful info if they work!
Thanks for all the support

Juba

Jul 27, 2019
Tena deffo do a ladies pull up in black - do they not do a dark mens version?

Yes! Navy
Cheers Jessbow. I ordered some of these from a website someone pointed me too. They definitely appear to be a lot more acceptable than the white - still not quite managed to get them on yet!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey