Can losing consciousness be part of dementia

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
When my husband was under a lot of pressure from family members to see a doctor about his forgetfulness and confusion he had several episodes one night of falling sleep, suddenly waking and jerking upright, and staring into space and shouting out, very similar to what I imagine night terrors are like.
The doctor was unable to explain this, but all the usual checks were made when concerns over dementia were mentioned. There was no evidence of a stroke but as a result of the tests he was diagnosed with Alzheimers.

This was 9 months ago and there have been no more "episodes" until last week.
He appeared to suddenly drop of to sleep in an armchair and after a few minutes suddenly jerked upright, eyes wide open, after which his head slumped to one side and just stared into space for about 10 seconds, then he slowly gained awareness of where he was but had no recollection of anything happening to him.
It was absolutely terrifying for me. It happened twice more within about an hour, and he kept saying he was hot one minute, cold the next. I thought it could be an infection, (which it wasn't) so I called 111 who could offer no help but advised me to take him to his GP in the morning.
He refused to go, so I went on my own but again was given no explanation. He had started taking Donepezil two weeks ago, so I wondered if this was a side effect, although he hadn't even had a diagnosis the first time it happened.
Has anyone else had experience of these "episodes"? I just don't know if it's something else for him to worry about or part of the dementia process.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I haven't had any experience like yours. I suspect it might be part of the dementia process, as you've already gone to the GP about it. But I'm not a doctor.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He had started taking Donepezil two weeks ago, so I wondered if this was a side effect, although he hadn't even had a diagnosis the first time it happened.

Donepezil used to be known as Aricept. It was trialled with my husband and the side effects were so severe He stopped taking it.

They were not the same side effects your husband is experiencing @Sandy47 and those you mention do not appear on the list of possible side effects so there might not be a connection.

These drugs are very strong and they are a miracle to some and a disaster to others. We persevered for a few months before they were stopped so perhaps it`s early days yet for your husband.

I would continue to refer to the doctors though and perhaps keep a diary of the frequency of these episodes.

Steve115

May 17, 2016
Huntingdon area
My wife experiences episodes of this nature. She becomes totally unresponsive but appears to be asleep. If moved she is like a rag doll - all floppy. Some times she comes round quickly and appears to recover but on several occasions she has come round very slowly taking up to an hour to recover. She is very sleepy after this. I was advised that this is something that can happen to people with Dementia. In her notes it has been referred to as a Vaso Vagal episode which is a type of fainting. The person becomes unresponsive (like my wife) but can jerk back to consciousness in the way you described for your husband. I hope this helps but it might be useful to speak to your GP. I understand it is not serious but is frightening when it happens.

Steve

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My Mum had episodes of unresponsiveness and went 'clammy', and an intermittent underlying heart problem was subsequently identified. Her Donepezil was stopped as it is not recommended for those with certain heart problems as it can make the problem worse. As above, you need to speak to the GP to let them know what's happening.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My Mum had episodes of unresponsiveness and went 'clammy', and an intermittent underlying heart problem was subsequently identified. Her Donepezil was stopped as it is not recommended for those with certain heart problems as it can make the problem worse. As above, you need to speak to the GP to let them know what's happening.

I agree with you, this could be something else and does need checking out it might not be a vaso vagal or TIA but it could be syncope -a problem that interferes with circulation to the brain, often though not always cardiac in origin

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
My wife experiences episodes of this nature. She becomes totally unresponsive but appears to be asleep. If moved she is like a rag doll - all floppy. Some times she comes round quickly and appears to recover but on several occasions she has come round very slowly taking up to an hour to recover. She is very sleepy after this. I was advised that this is something that can happen to people with Dementia. In her notes it has been referred to as a Vaso Vagal episode which is a type of fainting. The person becomes unresponsive (like my wife) but can jerk back to consciousness in the way you described for your husband. I hope this helps but it might be useful to speak to your GP. I understand it is not serious but is frightening when it happens.

Steve
Thank you for your response. Although I have mentioned it to the GP and others, no one could say whether it was linked to the dementia so you have put my mind a little at ease. It is very frightening when it happens and not knowing what to do makes it even worse. Now I know it probably isn't serious (he's had his heart and blood pressure checked and they're both fine) and he comes out of it within a few seconds at the moment, I think I will be able to deal with it better if it happens again.

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
Thank you for your response. My husbands heart is fine and he is responding well to the Donepezil, so it may not be connected, especially as he has had a previous episode before he started taking the drug. However, if it happens again, I'll refer him back to the doctor as you suggest.

AliScott

Jul 21, 2016
My Mum was on Rivastigmine....another of the All drugs which works in the same way,. She tolerated it very well for 2 and a half years and then the symptoms you describe began to happen. Falling asleep instantly, and waking up with such a jolt, eventually she "fainted" whilst at the park and was taken to the local hospital. They did extensive testa and the conclusion was she had very low blood pressure, which can be a side effect. She was taken off these and put on Memantine which is one of the older style drugs. Her anxiety went through the roof for a while and now she is calmer but her symptoms have accelerated dramatically. She can no longer remember where her room is, where she is or whether its day or night. I realise symptoms will naturally progress with the condition but this seems catastrophically fast and coincides with this drug. Has anyone any experience of this ? And whether I should push for another drug in the armament ? Thank you in advance. Alison

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
ARICEPT. (donepezil hydrochloride ) was realised in in UK I’m not 100% certain I think it was July or September 1998 and was being issued to patients as a trail drug I was asked if I go on the trail and started taking ARICEPT in November 1999 back then it wasn’t prescribed by a Doctor or GP
It was only prescribed by the Consultant Psychiatrist I had monthly visits to the Psychiatrist for a prescription then go to the chemist who then had to order the ARICEPT :confused: this went on for almost 3 years until the Doctors started issuing the prescription ;) But I still had to have six monthly visits to the Consultant Psychiatrist for tests the Psychiatrist would then write a report to my Doctor so he could prescribe it and they shared the cost of the drug :D that continued for a few years in 2009-10 the ARICEPT licence expired and a Genetic Donepezil was produced at a fraction of the cost and is now prescribed by G.P’s I still take ARICEPT today and will be 20 years in November :):)