Making waves - creating change

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I just wanted to share some encouragement for those I know who are campaigning for change and improvements - especially to those where complaints have arisen about the care of our own loved ones and spurred us to action .......

Some members will recall almost 5 five months ago I had reason to raise a serious complaint about my mother's care in hospital ... I have been relatively patient in receiving the final, formal response as I was aware the matter was being dealt with at the very highest level of the Hospital Trust concerned. The response from the Chief Exec received today includes:

"With regard to the specific concerns you have raised (Consultant) has asked that I pass on to you his unreserved apologies for his actions."

Further " ......and wish to apologise that we did not act in accordance with the Mental Capacity At 2005 Code of Practice. Please accept my sincere apologies for this failing on our behalf, and can I reassure you that training in relation to the Act is now ongoing within the organisation and available to all staff. We have also commissioned the services of a local barrister to provide education and training specifically targetting the medical needs in each department in the organisation. We are also in the process of developing an organisational policy in relation to the Act"

"In addition to the training described earlier in my letter we also now plan to amend our admissions procedure to enquire whether relatives have a Power of Attorney to able medical staff to take this into consideration when making decisions on patients treatment"

Mum always had a passion to help other people - I wish I could tell her just how many people she may be helping in the future, sadly, through her own traumatic experience ......

Karen, x

(PS: I should mention thanks once again to the Alzheimer's Legal Helpline, Action on Elder Abuse as well as the GMC and my own MP for advising / supporting me in this complaint and without whose 'weight' I may have been a small voice in the wilderness?).

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
brill news kaz , well done you ,for seeing this through at a very difficult time in your life ,some people can and do,make a difference,you are one of them ,i hope this outcome will bring you some peace of mind.
take care, love ,angela.x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Der Karen

WELL DONE

This is a job well done. I am sure your mum would be well pleased.

Love

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Making waves.

Very,very well done,its not often with this illness that we feel we have got somewhere.Now,have a big drink,and then another!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Karen.

You have been given the apology you deserved although I don`t believe it compensates for the trauma you suffered.
However the future does look more respectful for those who follow in your mother`s footsteps and if the training is adhered to scrupulously we should be comforted.
Love xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well done Karen.

I have to say: it would have been even better if the consultant had actually taken the time out to dictate and sign a letter of apology - his was the fault and he should have had to eat humble pie, but I suppose that's not how it works.

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hiya Kaz
Brilliant news:)
So pleased this has come at a time when you need your spirits lifting;)
Love,
xxx

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Waves breaking gently on the shore ......

Dear Karen,

The small voice in the wilderness, just one voice, is the voice that makes a difference.

May I share with you, Karen, the following so that you can know that you are far from alone in this struggle for change and improvement?

My own personal campaign for change and improvement started almost a year ago now, and sadly (for me) is still ongoing, for many (and very serious) reasons. Progress is slow, but progress is positively positive. And, like you, I cannot change what happened – all I can do is strive to do all I can to make sure it never happens again to anyone else. Ever, ever again. That ‘anyone else’ may be me, or you, or any other person reading your thread now, Karen. That’s the way I see it, anyway. Who knows which one of us is next?

So just a few quotes:

“The full review report conducted into X’s care assisted us to conclude that there were serious failings in the level of care X received. A comprehensive improvement plan has been put into place for the home, and progress against this plan was assessed at the beginning of May. We will continue to monitor progress closely, jointly with CSCI.”

That monitoring of progress is still continuing, thankfully, and yes, I am still watching.

The actual report itself read: “the nurses at Y (the care home) had not effectively assessed X’s condition from …. (arrival in the care home) until ….. (date of sudden) admission to hospital” and as a result “the nurses did not identify the need to call out the GP when X’s condition was clearly deteriorating”. “This case required an advanced level of clinical expertise and communication and it was the absence of this which contributed to X’s admission into Acute Care”. Dementia and diabetes were the only two defined conditions that required expertise and communication. There were no other conditions that required concern or intervention.

Your loved one and my own loved one unfortunately both had to suffer traumatic experiences, in order for change to be brought about to benefit all others who come after them. If they are both raising a glass now to our mutual efforts to help others, then I for one will join them.

Einstein defined insanity as: ‘doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results’. Well, hopefully you and I have done all we can to reveal by challenging the insanity of some ‘systems or lack of systems’, some ‘decision makers’ and some ‘powers in control’ and sadly, some of those in charge of the care of our loved ones with needs.

Making waves will achieve the breakthrough required to ensure that the shoreline is the shoreline we would all like it to be. Waves breaking gently on the shore, rather than ….

My thoughts are with you, Karen, and with all those others of us who are working so hard to make a difference.

My thoughts are with all of you who are dealing with the world of dementia.

JPG

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Karen and JPG.
Just wanted to say well done to you both for all your hard work, I hope you both feel proud of your selves.
Best wishes to you .
Roseann x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes well done for all your efforts.
It will encourage any one of us to do the same conditions should the need arise (hopefully not).

Best wishes Jan

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Pleasing Results

Hello Karen and JPG1,

When you set out to right a wrong it's a warm feeling inside to achieve that goal. Your WILL showed the way for change and that will be your FOOT PRINT. Your loved ones will be smiling down from above and the comfort in knowing the benefits that will be passed on to others would be rewarding in itself.

Well Done!!
Love Taffy.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Congratulations

Dear Karen,

It has been a hard path for you but you have made a hugh difference.

You never gave up and I am sure your Mum would have been so proud.

Love from
Christine

Last edited:

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Feel Proud

Hi Karen

I was so very pleased that all your efforts have brought about not only the well deserved apology, but also a massive change in training.

WELL DONE, and I am so very sure mum is so proud of you, as we all are.
Love
Cate xxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm so sorry that you had to fight under such circumstances, both of you, but I'm very glad that you did. It takes a lot of courage and conviction to stick to your guns and to try to make things better for those who follow.

I was lucky today to have the matron and assistant matron together with me. I have been tyrying to get a cafe off the ground for carers of inpatients on the three assessment wards. I haven't had much luck in attracting carers to the cafe and think it will fold before Christmas. To be honest I don't think that my publicity was given out properly and, without carers knowing there is a cafe, then they won't come.

But I did take this opportunity to tell both of them the quite shocking things which happened during my husband's stay on one assessment ward. It was no easy thing to do and I expect I will be classed as a 'trouble maker' but like yourselves, I want to make sure that such things do not happen again.

Good luck to you both.

xxTinaT

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Woohoo TenderFace and well done JPG for fighting the long hard fight, and to all those who dare to be painted as trouble-makers for the sakes of others.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks to all of you who have offered their congratulations .... I admit I'm pretty chuffed :) - but then my dad always taught me 'some good will always come out of evil' .. and mum's philosophy of always wanting to help others - well not the ideal that mum was traumatised and I knew what happened was actually illegal never mind unethical (but I guess they've got that picture! :cool:) ......but I have some solace that mum didn't go through what she went through in total vain ..... that in itself is giving me some closure .......

In posting this 'success' I really wanted to echo what I believe Connie said recently ... not just to 'vent' on TP (although the support from members here was so helpful in getting the complaint together and that was part of the process) - but to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) - phone, wave banners, march on Downing Street ... whatever we can each do ........ to right each small or larger wrong ....... so the bigger picture eventually changes .......

Thanks JPG - we all know it takes a long time to turn rocks into sand ..... but if we can all keep eroding away .... I just love that analogy......

Making waves will achieve the breakthrough required to ensure that the shoreline is the shoreline we would all like it to be.

And Nat, I'll always be happy to be a trouble maker if it effects change for the good!!!!! :D ;)

Love to everyone fighting their own personal battles ..... and strength to everyone who is fighting outside of the box, too......

Thank you all for your support, Karen, x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp