We have the diagnosis, now what?

scb

Jun 27, 2019
Hello again. Now that my husband has been given the dementia diagnosis, what should my first steps be? He has started on Donepezil 5 mg. He seems to have accepted the diagnosis; what should I now expect in terms of mood? He is also bipolar but steady on lithium medication, and has been for many years. What practical things should I be thinking about now? I feel like I am starting a new learning process and that I should try to absorb as much useful information as possible. Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @scb. I commiserate about your husbands diagnosis but am pleased you have found Dementia Talking Point so early in the illness.

There is a fact sheet which might give you some insight. I’ll try to find it for you

I’m sorry my equipment is playing up. I hope someone else will see this and post the link for you.

If you can search factshrrts and you will find lots of information

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you @Louise7. My main computer is being repaired my iPad is slower than a snail and I'm not used to using my phone for links.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Hello again. Now that my husband has been given the dementia diagnosis, what should my first steps be? He has started on Donepezil 5 mg. He seems to have accepted the diagnosis; what should I now expect in terms of mood? He is also bipolar but steady on lithium medication, and has been for many years. What practical things should I be thinking about now? I feel like I am starting a new learning process and that I should try to absorb as much useful information as possible. Thank you.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Wills and POA would be my advice but then calm down! I had a wetroom installed within about 6 months in anticipation. Still dont need it!

scb

Jun 27, 2019
Hello again, I wonder if I can ask your advice again regarding driving; my husband's psychiatrist said that he (the psychiatrist) is required by law to inform the DVLA of the diagnosis. In the meantime he is still driving. He is in the early stages of dementia. Do I have to inform the car insurance company of the diagnosis prior to hearing from the DVLA? Thank you again.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hello again, I wonder if I can ask your advice again regarding driving; my husband's psychiatrist said that he (the psychiatrist) is required by law to inform the DVLA of the diagnosis. In the meantime he is still driving. He is in the early stages of dementia. Do I have to inform the car insurance company of the diagnosis prior to hearing from the DVLA? Thank you again.
Hi @scb I was diagnosed last year with FTD DEMENTIA & had two driving assessments over 6mths & unfortunately they took my licence away at the second one. Previous to that we were told to inform our insurance of my diagnosis.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
I would say do as many lovely things as possible. If you still enjoy going on holiday together go on great holidays, or have weekends away, or day trips. Go out for meals with friends, visit the family, make memories. And take loads of photos!

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
I couldn't agree with Justmary more. For the first 2-3 years after diagnosis we travelled extensively & ticked off as much of our bucket list as we could. As the disease progressed so did the type of holiday - cruises (especially river cruises) were great as you only unpack once Previously we did lots of road trips. Now we just go to the same place all the time as its familiar although the travel is getting harder. If you are flying make sure you get one of the hidden disability lanyards (we got ours from Gatwick Airport) as they really help smooth the journey through the airports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell