Sole carer. Advice needed.

Frasmac

Jul 8, 2019
Hello,
I am a new member and sole carer for my lovely wife who has recently been diagnosed. I shall be grateful and interested to read any hints and helpful ideas in this forum from other members.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hello,
I am a new member and sole carer for my lovely wife who has recently been diagnosed. I shall be grateful and interested to read any hints and helpful ideas in this forum from other members.

Welcome Frasmac

You will find tons of information and support from the lovely people on this forum. I have found it highly valuable whilst caring for my wife (PWD) for the last 5 years or more.

Phil

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello,
Hi Frasmac have you claimed attendance allowance for your wife?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I'm sorry to read about the diagnosis but I'm glad you've found the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of help and support here.

It will all seem quite overwhelming for your just now. As well as the support you will get from members here you might find the fact sheet area helpful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

One of the first things I did after my husband was diagnosed was to arrange power of attorney.

You might find the Dementa Guide helpful.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-07/AS_NEW_The dementia guide_update 3_WEB.pdf

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Frasmac welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

You'll find loads of information and friendly advice on here. When you're ready start asking specific questions and someone will usually come along who has experienced the same and can offer suggestions.

Remember that your wife is still the same person and things are likely to change slowly so you'll find ways to adapt and cope with each change as it comes along.