My sister has stolen money from our Dad's bank

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
Does your dad ever actually need his bank card?
If he doesnt and he just wants the security of having it on him, you could cancel that card, but let him keep it on him and take the new card away for you to keep.

If he realises that it doesnt work, then its time for "love lies". You have ordered a new one from the bank - it will be arriving any day now......

Yes he does occasionally when his carer wants to take him shopping or if he needs cash then she would use it. We had already taken it off him for that very purpose but it just wouldn't work sadly. Plus we've already renewed the card recently so he might get a bit suspect on that front! He still remembers that.
Thanks for the info though.

Claude Barrie

Jun 29, 2019
Sorry I can't add any more to the practical advice other members have offered but I'd just like to say that your dad sounds like such a lovely forgiving gentleman after such a terrible betrayal. What a treasure he is.

Oh he's that and much much more mickeyplum. He doesn't deserve it at all. He is so forgiving of everyone tbh. He's quite a remarkable old soul.

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
A word of warning: Apply for POA but I wouldn't mention any suspicions re: your sister during the application process if I were you. OPG may appoint a deputy (often a private company)

You will then be effectively locked out of any decisions regarding your father, so I'd just apply for the POA and then once you have that you can perhaps start investigating

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica1960

Oct 23, 2022
Sadly family have a tendency to disregard each other. I think caring for elderly parents is difficult and if you suspect dishonesty its a very difficult situation. My sister mistakingly took 26000, from a shared account which we held in our joint names, in case my mother needed extra cash. My sister stated that she pressed the wrong button and took the money, she has had the money since May last year and has not attempted to pay it back or write a letter stating she took it. She has involved her children, i don't know what she has told them but they are supporting her. Her husband is a policeman and he is saying its a mistake and they both get very angry if i say they stole the money. The money is not the issue, because if she had been honest and asked for it she could have used it and paid it back into our account. However the lies and stories they have both told are unforgivable and sadly what she did shows that she does not value her relationship with her sister, brother or her mother. Greed is a very bad character trait and just telling you what happened in my family so that you know you are not alone.