Social care Are there going to be any changes?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm wondering if there will be any changes in social care,not that I have any faith in Jeremy Hunt or Boris Johnson,I look after mum at home and I'm doing a great job,she has funds to last a while as she has to pay for her care,I have lived here all of my life of 46 years and on occasion have a little wobble worrying about the government and the family home and perhaps me being made homeless,I had to pop out today but heard them talking about social care on the news but didn't have the time to stop and listen so didn't hear what was being said,but with there being the chance perhaps of a general election and certainly a new PM I'm wondering if somebody is going to decide to do something radical that may not be terribly popular,has anyone heard of anything that sounds like it may occur or are they going to kick it in to the long grass for another 5 years or so.
I wonder if anyone has ever been allowed to stay in a family home,all I have is diabetes type 2 and a history of depression and I don't supppose that falls in to any of the discretions that they can give to let somebody stay in a home,as there are a discretionary diregards but saying that I imagine they will be ruthless to conserve money and grab the home,I imagine the very people making those decisions have probably made sure they have their own homes put in trust as they know very well whats hiding around the corner

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Not heard of any.

However part 2 of CA2014 based on Dilnot is scheduled to come into force in 2020.

Can't see it happening.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Not heard of any.

However part 2 of CA2014 based on Dilnot is scheduled to come into force in 2020.

Can't see it happening.
I can't help feeling that they want peoples homes and that they will force people in to the home equity route signing away their homes,I want to stay here it's also my sons home 50% of the time,it just all seems bad timing with the councils being cash strapped,I don't suppose people were talking about this 10 years ago.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think there is pressure to have free personal care in England for those who need it to keep them in their own homes. John gets this 3 times a week here in Scotland but there are others our carers go to who have severe needs and only get by because carers go in and wash, dress, give meds and feed them. Cheaper than care homes and keeps them out of hospitals

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I think there is pressure to have free personal care in England for those who need it to keep them in their own homes. John gets this 3 times a week here in Scotland but there are others our carers go to who have severe needs and only get by because carers go in and wash, dress, give meds and feed them. Cheaper than care homes and keeps them out of hospitals

Mums from Dundee,I always wished that we could have moved there but I had a son in 2002 and so it wasn't possible then,I had all my holidays in Scotlland and loved it and I get scotch pies delivered from an Edinburgh butcher once a year haha

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
If you are planning to keep your mum at home for the duration and her funds run out, then would she then not qualify for free care? When I was caring for mum, because they only assessed her income and savings and the home is mine, she got a fair bit of funding towards her care, only having to contribute a small weekly amount, which I was very grateful for, considering I had given up all employment to care for her! So I guess if she stays at home with you and doesn't go into a home, the house would then pass to you (sorry to be so blunt). Or am I being naïve - does it not work that way?

In all the time I was caring for my mother, both pre dementia (10 years or so) and the three years with dementia, nothing much changed for carers in my view. And I doubt it ever will to be honest.

I think it's disgraceful that people have to sell homes to pay for care needs, which arise due to illness. But I also don't blame anyone doing anything legal to protect homes from being given up to pay for care.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
If you are planning to keep your mum at home for the duration and her funds run out, then would (she) then not qualify for free care? When I was caring for mum, because they only assessed her income and savings and the home is mine, she got a fair bit of funding towards her care, only having to contribute a small weekly amount, which I was very grateful for, considering I had given up all employment to care for her! So I guess if she stays at home with you and doesn't go into a home, the house would then pass to you (sorry to be so blunt). Or am I being naïve - does it not work that way?

In all the time I was caring for my mother, both pre dementia (10 years or so) and the three years with dementia, nothing much changed for carers in my view. And I doubt it ever will to be honest.

I think it's disgraceful that people have to sell homes to pay for care needs, which arise due to illness. But I also don't blame anyone doing anything legal to protect homes from being given up to pay for care.
Hi yes I intend to always look after mum at home,it's just the cynic in me that feels that they will have other ideas when it comes to them having to pay for the care after her savings are at the lower limit as I bet they resent paying for care then when there is a house that they can grab