Donepezil take it or not.

Hatter27

Apr 24, 2019
Hi my dear 74 year old mum got diagnosed with mild alzheimer's in November 2018. She was prescribed 5mg donepezil in December 2018 which she took for 2 months and was okay ish we didn't see any major improvement or decline so doctors then upped it to 10mg and and since we have noticed a decline she is stumbling over words more forgetting what she wants to say and is very unsteady on her feet and getting anxious alot should we continue with the donepezil or take her back to the doctors please help.xx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I would recommend that you speak to the GP as any adverse side effects from medication should be notified to them, particularly as these may be placjng your Mum at risk of falls. 10mg donepezil was fine for my Mum but not everyone can tolerate a higher dosage.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Speak to your mum’s GP but my dad couldn’t tolerate the 10mg dose and improved almost immediately once he was back on 5mg. Definitely worth a try to see if it is the drug causing your mum’s problems.

Alesya

Apr 21, 2019
My husband is 75 and has mixed dementia and does well on 5mg. Maybe worth trying to go back to 5mg if the doctor agrees. His health care professional asked him if he wanted to go without any meds but he chose to stay on with it. I have heard that some people do better without any medication. Hope you find the help and advice you need.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Hi Alesya...

I take Donepezil... it was suggested by my clinic doctor... I was keen to try anything, in fact I still am!

If this has had any impact on me, I don't know! My family watch me like hawks and they seem to think I am different, but then again... they think I'm different every day! If you know what I mean!?

Reading the research and asking the questions... Donepezil is all there is. Some say that Donepezil works, some say not and some research even suggest that it can speed up the decline of dementia... so you just take your choice!?

I have moved from waiting for this magic moment when someone shouts... we have the answer! because that isn't going to happen. However, I do think there is an answer, and this is the same for many other medical problems.... diet, exercise and for use mental stimulation.

I've just read, 'The End of Alzheimer's,' by Dr Dale Bredesen. This follows a lot of common research and theories of today... tomorrow.. there may be another idea. I'm not saying this book gives you everything, but it has change my life.. I now have something to live for and this gives me the greatest thing.. Hope!

There are no major revelations here... seems to me that it is much about common sense, but what it does do, is back up what he says with clinical research. It involves changing your diet, looking at maintaining a balance of nutrients in your body, exercising and a big one... mental stimulation.
As a part of this, I believe that medication can have a detrimental impact on things like dementia and I intend to try and come of most, if not all my drugs over the next two years. I have told my doctors this and ask for their support. As long as I'm able I will work to this goal, one of many goals I now have.

The possible benefit of this is very much to do with when you start to make the changes... the earlier the better and I think there is a time when this, or anything will help and I call that the tipping point. I think most people on the outside recognise this moment, if people on the inside, like I will be, know it.... I'm not sure!

I have had memory problems and strange problems with writing, spelling and space, for a long time, before 2000 and went to the doctors many times asking for help! I was a teacher then... and guess what... stress was the cause... so they said.. Stress was the in thing then!

I was diagnosed in 2017. This year I have changed my life and learning to live for as long as I can..... is that what we all have to do!?

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My mum started taking 5mg on Wednesday last week. Every day since then there has been some incident, nothing completely unusual (besides today which I'll go into) for her, but to have 5 days in a row like this is not normal for her. Today she tried making a cup of tea by putting the electric kettle on the hob.... and yep the bottom of it melted. The kettle is one of the few appliances in the house she has never had any bother with.

I was dubious that the pill could be affecting her so quickly but phoned the clinic and the duty worker suggested she stop taking it and see how this week goes.

Was pinning my hopes on this pill improving things so feeling gutted/angry/want to scream! She has epilepsy so I know all about the trial & error side of medications. Guess we'll see what this week brings and take it from there.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband took donepezil for some time but had tummy problems so it was decided that he would switch over to rivastigmine patches. He has been fine on those and being in patch form, they are absorbed through the skin instead of the stomach.

He has been doing fine on the rivastigmine which he has been using for over four years now.

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
My husband of 60 has been on donapresil for 4 years. Started on 5 now on 10mg. Thought he was alright on it, till i read this!! 2 years ago he kept falling about and ended u in hospital for 4 weeks without them knowing in why? His memory is getting worse, forgetting things after a couple of minutes, doesnt want to do anything except sit in front of the tv, gets very depressed..but not once have they mentiomed the medication in all these incidents..now im worrying and thinking could this be the answer. We dont get any support, hasnt seen the gp for two years, saw the dr at the hospital a month ago, and was told 'see you next year'.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If your husband has been on donepezil for 4 years @olliebel then I very much doubt that what you are seeing is side effects of this drug - side effects will show up within a few weeks of taking it. Donepezil doesnt stop the progression of Alzheimers - it only slows it down, so IMO what you are seeing is much more likely to be progression of the Alzheimers.

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
My husband of 60 has been on donapresil for 4 years. Started on 5 now on 10mg. Thought he was alright on it, till i read this!! 2 years ago he kept falling about and ended u in hospital for 4 weeks without them knowing in why? His memory is getting worse, forgetting things after a couple of minutes, doesnt want to do anything except sit in front of the tv, gets very depressed..but not once have they mentiomed the medication in all these incidents..now im worrying and thinking could this be the answer. We dont get any support, hasnt seen the gp for two years, saw the dr at the hospital a month ago, and was told 'see you next year'.
If your husband has been on donepezil for 4 years @olliebel then I very much doubt that what you are seeing is side effects of this drug - side effects will show up within a few weeks of taking it. Donepezil doesnt stop the progression of Alzheimers - it only slows it down, so IMO what you are seeing is much more likely to be progression of the Alzheimers.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I would just simply google for side effects and weigh up the benefits versus risk. Mum has been on donepezil now for 4 years (after she agreed to take them). I can say there is a definate benefit with her on it as opposed to her being off it, which happened two months ago when everything span out of control. I have got her back on the donepezil and I can say she is definately far better in mood and functionality.

As with all drugs, some meds suite some people better than others as well as dose. It is very much trial and see if just starting. But if like mum over a long period then any changes are likely to be due to the dementia progressing and not side effects.

None of these meds are curative, they are simply holding measures for a period of time until the disease advances. As I witness myself every day.