Update

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Edna has now stopped eating and drinking she has a fluid chart which shows today she hadn't drunk anything by 4.30pm we tried but she just shouted at us.

the hospital got mixed up the consultant didn't want to see us, but he still came for a chat, they are going to wean Edna of the meds to see if that is why she isn't drinking/eating.
she got onto me all the time at first she didn't know me but soon started shouting at dad everytime he moved to stop looking at me and why hadn't he come on his own why did he bring me and my brother I told her we wanted to see her to see how she was, her reply was no you don't you are just being nosey.
Edna now looks so frail I took this pic today

Attachments

• 2008_1020_162853.JPG
    2008_1020_162853.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Heartbroken

Oh what a lot of weight she`s lost.
It`s hard to believe so much aggression can come from such a frail looking person.
I do hope her medication is sorted so she starts eating and drinking again.
It must be so hard for you when she is so horrid. Even though you know it`s the illness, not Edna, it still hurts.
Love xx

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
(((((Heartbroken))))) I really hope Edna starts to eat and drinks soon, and it does turn out to be her meds. Mums Dr said as long as somebody drinks they can go without food for quite some time. My Mum goes through spells of not eating and drinking and it seems to make her more on the edge, and her frustration and anger shows with clenched fists. It really is upsetting how Edna's attitude towards you has become like this, and although deep inside we know its the illness it is still painful and hurts (((((Heartbroken))))). In your heart you know you have been a good daughter and you will have to keep on remembering to listen to your heart at times like this. Sending you loads of supportive hugs that today is peaceful for you.

Love Diane xxxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Heartbroken

Dear Edna does look so frail and I will just go on hoping and praying that she will start drinking very soon. You must be feeling very fragile as the rejection of you doesn't seem to be passing very quickly.

Sending a big hug and lots of love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear hearbroken

Edna has lost so much weight since you last posted a pic. She does look frail.

But the aggression is still there, you sometimes wonder where these tiny frail ladies get the strength.

Well done for visiting, in spite of the aggression. I'm sure that deep inside, Edna appreciates it.

I hope you get better news of her today.

Love,

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Thanks everyone
its so hard to visit and its getting harder.
my Daughter has asked to go to visit so I am going to take her next week on the bus so dad won't be there we will see if this makes her happier with me just have to see.

Dad was fed up yesterday I think he is realising that he wouldn't be able to cope if he had Edna home, he couldn't wait to go home plus I asked if he was going on thursday he said depends on the weather, I will phone later to see if hes ok.

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Heartbroken,

Poor Edna does look very frail...

I admire your fortitude in carrying on with the visits which must be so difficult for you.

Hoping you have better news of Edna today.

love gigi xx

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Thinking of you all, hope they can find the answer to why she isn't eating and drinking.

Take care

Lanie

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
very worried

Edna is still not drinking or eating dad went to see her my brother took him as he seemed down and didn't want to drive today in the bad weather he only has a robin reliant so understandable, he treid to get her to have a drink but she wasn't having any of it. I will phone the hospital tomorrow to talk to them, see what is going to happen, how long can she go on like this?

my Daughter has asked to go to visit so I am going to take her next week on the bus so dad won't be there we will see if this makes her happier with me
my husband has been made redundant today so he's going to take us next week fingers cross she is ok think I will phone before we set of to see how she is I don't want to take B if she's not
sorry rambling

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh dear, heartbroken, you seem to be having one problem after another.

I'm sorry your husband has been made redundant, it's happening a lot just now. I hope he'll be able to find another job.

Edna's condition is worrying too. She is going downhill so quickly. She was eating OK before she went to hospital, or have I got that wrong?

What a miserable day for you, and even the weather is depressing!

Love,

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
thanks Barb and Hazel

Edna was eating and drinking but not very well its has got worse in this last 2 weeks. Dad always take some chocolate in when he visits but she isn't intrested it that now were she wouldn't say no to it before.

I feel so stressed tonight could just sit and cry but must put a brave face on things for hubby and b, time to do some knitting though don't feel much like it.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to see how frail Edna looking .

My mother always shorting at the Carers , moaning about this that.

Now I presume it, mum not got anything much going on in her life with this dementia, so a good moan about something must make her feel better in a strange way in her thought patten of thinking .

We Just say to mum Carm down, Carm down , Lifting our hands up down.

Anyway enough about my mother .

I do hope Edna picks up take some water food xx

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Dad went to vist yesterday to find Edna very tearful when he asked whot was wrong
she said " I won't to go home"
dad asked "what had upset her"
she replied "they keep telling me of for not drinking but I don't want to drink it makes me Pee"
what can we say? We have tried everything to tempt her.

I am going to visit tomorrow with dad, B and hubby, we are letting dad go in while we sit in the car for half a hour then we are going in for 15mins unless she starts on me but B has been asking to see her grandma, I have promised her we won't stop long if grandma isn't happy, B is a very bright child and understands what is happening she has asked me if grandma is going to get any better, so I have sat with her and told her all about dementia she has cried but now accepts it. I will let you know how it goes I'm just dredding it

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
"they keep telling me of for not drinking but I don't want to drink it makes me Pee"
what can we say?

Heartbroken, could this be the answer to the problem?

Perhaps Edna has wet the bed, and is very embarrassed about it, and doesn't want to risk it happening again?

I may be way off beam here, but I know some elderly people avoid drinking for this reason.

I hope tomorrow's visit goes well. Your little B is a cherub!:)

Love,

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hazel
Edna has been in pads all the time for a long while now so I think its just a excuse not to drink,she did say it when she was at home, thanks for trying to work it out for us.
I am going to take in a fruit shoot tomorrow plus one for B to see if that will get her to drink she does seem to copy B its worth a try.

the hospital has left a message they are concerned that Ednas slippers are to small so I phoned back to speak to them because she can't walk very well this is her excuse, its these slippers or its these new shoes though she has had them for over a year lol, I have been and brought her some new ones just in case they shrunk when dad washed them you never know.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Heartbroken

It is worrying about Edna not drinking and I really hope that the fruit shoot idea works - it seems like a good idea - I wouldn't have thought of it:)

I'll be thinking of you and B visiting tomorrow and look forward to hearing all about it.

Love (and love to B too)