If you live in private rental.....

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
We have both owned our own houses in the past, but life happens and now we rent.

Even with the proposed change in the law, private tenants often get asked by the owners of the property to vacate - it has happened to us 3 times, and is devastating each time.
I was distraught after OH was diagnosed, as to what would happen if our landlord gave us notice.

This village is ideal for OH, he has his snooker, his singing, and his bowls, and most of all he is safe. There is just one shop for him to go and get in a muddle in, and they understand. He is so secure here - but there are no council houses.

If we were given notice though, what agent or landlord would let us rent from them, when the previously main income earner now has dementia ?

This worried me terribly, as my credit score had not been good due to the antics of my now deceased husband. So, I have set to improving my credit score, and it has taken me some time, but I managed it. Once it had got in the Good/Excellent range on the Experian scale, I then decided to apply for credit cards as I did not have any.

This was for two very good reasons. I was advised by a professional that if you maintain your credit card in good order that also improves your credit rating. The second reason was that the availability of using credit cards gave me a 'cushion' when times get hard, or if I need to raise an initial deposit as moving into rented property is quite expensive if you are on a low income.

You cannot believe how much happier I feel now I have this in place. I feel that whilst the future is not optimistic, I do have some options if OH has to go into a nursing home, or if our present landlord ( who refuses to maintain the property - so does not inspire confidence) gives us notice.
Every little thing to help the situation of someone with dementia has to be a good thing.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Are there any other rental properties locally?
If the landlord refuses to maintain the property, there is a council dept. that will inspect, and report if the building is below standard.
Be aware that this course of action will almost certainly, lead to eviction, the landlord will need to carry out the work, unhindered by tenants. However you might be considered unintentionally homeless, and rehoused, in hopefully suitable accommodation. I know this is not what you really want.
My daughter, has just gone through this, moved from a damp dangerous house, into a dry, warm council house, she has two young children, you have a PWD. So the situations are not dissimilar.

Bod

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Congratulations on repairing your credit rating! I had to do the same when I divorced 15+ years ago. I made use of a few 'free balance transfer' offers and moved our credit card debts to new cards, but with no interest added from then on. It took a few years but I paid off the lot - no more nasty letters, no more unexpected knocks on the door. It is a very good feeling to finally be debt-free and like you I now have a couple of cards I can use for emergencies :)

But many of us face an uncertain future regarding housing, etc. I live alone and that's a particular worry o_O

It's good that you are making contingency plans - hope you don't need them!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Well done Mary, you are on the right track. Housing is a real problem for so many. Is it worth approaching the Council, not the Housing Dept. but through Adult Services, just a thought?
I know that they are anxious to keep Carers looking after someone and with out a suitable home you can't.
I wish there was more guaranteed rented property for older people as to be able to be fluid at retirement has good points.
I wish you well, it has not been easy.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Well done Mary, you are on the right track. Housing is a real problem for so many. Is it worth approaching the Council, not the Housing Dept. but through Adult Services, just a thought?
I know that they are anxious to keep Carers looking after someone and with out a suitable home you can't.
I wish there was more guaranteed rented property for older people as to be able to be fluid at retirement has good points.
I wish you well, it has not been easy.
no it hasn't Alice - but my mind is more focussed now - and I am determined to keep things as well as I can for us x

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Hi:

What seems like a small step is actually giant step. BE PROUD.:)

HAPPY EASTER WEEKEND TO EVERYONE & MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL

AliceA

May 27, 2016
no it hasn't Alice - but my mind is more focussed now - and I am determined to keep things as well as I can for us x

It is good to hear, because my health has several issues I asked for a Needs Assessment for us both. I am not sure of the result but it emphasised the difficulties.
It was acknowledged that it suited the Council to keep people at home. At the cost entailed savings would not last long. Perhaps that is a line to take. A little help now would make all the difference.
I will do double somersaults to keep things going as they are (what a sight that would be).
You do need some housing security so best of luck. X