Seven months on ...

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's over seven months now since mum died. How can time go so fast? The initial few weeks and couple of months were horrendous, that awful sense of loss and all the horrible memories of dementia. I never thought I'd pull myself out of the misery of it all. But gradually, slowly, I seem to be returning to some kind of normal, something like the person I used to be before dementia entered our lives. I don't cry as much, though I still miss mum so much, and, fortunately, the dementia memories are starting to fade, just a little. I'm sure they will never leave me, but hopefully in time they will fade even further.

I survived the first few months by occupying myself and distracting myself as much as possible, and that worked. The evenings were the worst, just a terrible anguish that mum was no longer in the house. But now evenings are better, and of course the longer days help.

I still have no idea how I survived the horrors of what mum and I went through, but I did. Such a cruel and heart breaking illness. Why my mum? No answers anywhere to that one.

Life goes on, as I suspected it would. Our local surgery seems on the verge of crisis. No appointments to be had whenever I call. I will try again tomorrow. Don't know what's going on, it wasn't like that when mum was still alive. Perhaps they just cannot cope with the demand, but where are people supposed to go? I'll ask them that tomorrow!

My thoughts to everyone out there still battling with everything dementia throws at you, and to those with recent losses.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Life does indeed go on.I am pleased that you seem to be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I was shocked when someone asked me last week & I worked out it was 7 months. In a lit of ways it feels like it’s been longer, but mostly that it’s just a few weeks. Life does indeed keep rolling on by

I need to start job hunting soon .... but I doubt I’d be much use to anyone, don’t feel I’ve much to give. Hopefully you are doing better in that front

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I've been looking at jobs too @Sam Luvit, but only part time. I am sure that my age (mid 50s) is against me now. I only apply for things where you upload your CV onto a website and send it off with a quick covering note. I can't be bothered to spend hours making my CV fit to various application sites, only to hear nothing back. If I don't get a job, I'll just have to make do with what I have. I do feel I have a lot to give, and I'm not ready to be 'retired' just yet, but I don't think the current jobs market and me are a good fit!! We'll see, maybe I'll be lucky in time. In spite of now filling my time with various nice things, I still feel like I need a major focus in my life, and that, I guess, can only be some kind of employment. Hope you are doing OK.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I've been looking at jobs too @Sam Luvit, but only part time. I am sure that my age (mid 50s) is against me now. I only apply for things where you upload your CV onto a website and send it off with a quick covering note. I can't be bothered to spend hours making my CV fit to various application sites, only to hear nothing back. If I don't get a job, I'll just have to make do with what I have. I do feel I have a lot to give, and I'm not ready to be 'retired' just yet, but I don't think the current jobs market and me are a good fit!! We'll see, maybe I'll be lucky in time. In spite of now filling my time with various nice things, I still feel like I need a major focus in my life, and that, I guess, can only be some kind of employment. Hope you are doing OK.

When I found myself out of a job aged 57 I managed to forge a new career as a barmaid which was good fun and 4 years later I was assistant bar manager of a club. Sadly I ended up looking after dad then so I had to give that up but it was all good fun and better than being unemployed.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
@Marnie63 it is all fresh for me but it seems like my mum passed ages ago & maybe it is just how your brain processes matters & there has been an awful lot of sorting out & there is still sorting out to be done & a lot of it!
I think you are right & keeping busy is the answer. Big hugs x