Care home funding and SS

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree that because things change so frequently that it might be too early to start planning but I just want to get a feel for different care homes and their prices. It is just to get an idea so that should a crisis happen, we will at least have seen the type of place Mum might live if she had no money and then be able to see how much we might have to pay to find one that we feel will be best for her.

I am a worrier and over think things!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Personally, I dont think its a bad thing to look at homes to get a feel of what is available. Also, almost all of them have waiting lists and some of them have long waiting lists.

Sometimes things can happen very quickly and it helps to know which homes are good and which are to be avoided in advance, so that in a crisis you know which ones to approach.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ah yes. @good gosh . My husband had become very aggressive and resistant to personal care. He wouldn't allow me to help him dress, wash, change incontinence pads etc. and he resisted with violence, making serious attempts to strangle me twice. He slept for no longer than 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. He refused to take his medication, which he did need. With his doctor's permission, that had to be given covertly. He wouldn't eat or drink anywhere near enough, and after he had moved to full time care, I found food hidden all over the place. Once, in Tesco, as we were passing a group of people standing chatting, my husband suddenly raised his walking stick and hit out at one of them! Fortunately, I had seen the stick coming up and swung my bag, diverting it. The man only received a glancing blow, rather than the full force of the stick, and was very understanding when I apologised. We had a male care assistant, thankfully, a huge body builder guy, come in once a day to help get my husband washed and ready for bed. One evening, as I was getting the bathroom ready, from the bedroom I heard the CA say very calmly and gently "Now, W, you need to let me go." I went to the bedroom, and found my husband with his hands around the CA's throat, making no impression, but he was trying!

Once in the nursing home, after the initial couple of weeks settling in, my husband thrived. The aggression and violence were never seen there. The staff were all in uniform, and that seemed to make a difference. He seemed to understand that they were there to help. They had a good ratio of male carers, and he got on well with them all. He loved to walk, and the Nursing Home was a much safer place, with wide, flat corridors and no door straddles or steps to trip over. The dining room was set out like a good restaurant, and he loved it. He ate everything he was served, and gained weight. He was warm, comfortable, clean and safe, and most importantly, I gained back a quality of relationship that had been impossible when I was trying to do 24/7 care for him at home, and trying to keep him safe, keep myself safe, getting hardly any sleep and literally never having any time to myself. I remember saying to people that I "can't go to the loo by myself", and they thought I was just using a figure of speech. They didn't realise that I actually meant that I was unable to go to the loo without bringing my husband in with me! He had to have me in his line of sight all the time or he would completely panic. When he was in the nursing home, I would visit in the afternoons, and he would immediately take my hand and we'd go off to his room, and sit together and watch tv for the afternoon. He thought I lived there too, and was just busy in another part of the building when I wasn't with him. I've certainly got much nicer memories of our final months than I would have had if I'd had to struggle on at home.

good gosh

Apr 27, 2016
Hampshire UK
Ah yes. @good gosh . My husband had become very aggressive and resistant to personal care. He wouldn't allow me to help him dress, wash, change incontinence pads etc. and he resisted with violence, making serious attempts to strangle me twice. He slept for no longer than 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. He refused to take his medication, which he did need. With his doctor's permission, that had to be given covertly. He wouldn't eat or drink anywhere near enough, and after he had moved to full time care, I found food hidden all over the place. Once, in Tesco, as we were passing a group of people standing chatting, my husband suddenly raised his walking stick and hit out at one of them! Fortunately, I had seen the stick coming up and swung my bag, diverting it. The man only received a glancing blow, rather than the full force of the stick, and was very understanding when I apologised. We had a male care assistant, thankfully, a huge body builder guy, come in once a day to help get my husband washed and ready for bed. One evening, as I was getting the bathroom ready, from the bedroom I heard the CA say very calmly and gently "Now, W, you need to let me go." I went to the bedroom, and found my husband with his hands around the CA's throat, making no impression, but he was trying!

Once in the nursing home, after the initial couple of weeks settling in, my husband thrived. The aggression and violence were never seen there. The staff were all in uniform, and that seemed to make a difference. He seemed to understand that they were there to help. They had a good ratio of male carers, and he got on well with them all. He loved to walk, and the Nursing Home was a much safer place, with wide, flat corridors and no door straddles or steps to trip over. The dining room was set out like a good restaurant, and he loved it. He ate everything he was served, and gained weight. He was warm, comfortable, clean and safe, and most importantly, I gained back a quality of relationship that had been impossible when I was trying to do 24/7 care for him at home, and trying to keep him safe, keep myself safe, getting hardly any sleep and literally never having any time to myself. I remember saying to people that I "can't go to the loo by myself", and they thought I was just using a figure of speech. They didn't realise that I actually meant that I was unable to go to the loo without bringing my husband in with me! He had to have me in his line of sight all the time or he would completely panic. When he was in the nursing home, I would visit in the afternoons, and he would immediately take my hand and we'd go off to his room, and sit together and watch tv for the afternoon. He thought I lived there too, and was just busy in another part of the building when I wasn't with him. I've certainly got much nicer memories of our final months than I would have had if I'd had to struggle on at home.
Thanks @LadyA - a lovely post -remarkable changes and the best possible ending. I'll keep my hopes up

Last edited:

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex

Hi Lady A
Thank you for posting your personal account!
One of a few truly uplifting I have read,
I am struggling at at the moment,
You have given my hope that after all our married years we might not finish in a terrible way!
Only trust that maybe OH and I will be able to be ‘us’ again sometime in the future.
Thank you
Sincere regards
Lady M.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@LadyA that is such a positive story, and shows how well care homes can work - for both the PWD and the carer.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree that because things change so frequently that it might be too early to start planning but I just want to get a feel for different care homes and their prices. It is just to get an idea so that should a crisis happen, we will at least have seen the type of place Mum might live if she had no money and then be able to see how much we might have to pay to find one that we feel will be best for her.

I am a worrier and over think things!

I completely agree it is a good idea to know 'where your mum might go', and to that end I would do what Sam suggested, research some care homes near you (I used carehome.co.uk) and then visit a few to see how you feel about them. I did this a few months before my mother actually moved, and found they were very happy to show me around and talk about costs and funding. There's no substitute really for visiting the places and chatting to the staff.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Lady A
Thank you for posting your personal account!
One of a few truly uplifting I have read,
I am struggling at at the moment,
You have given my hope that after all our married years we might not finish in a terrible way!
Only trust that maybe OH and I will be able to be ‘us’ again sometime in the future.
Thank you
Sincere regards
Lady M.
That's it, exactly. When my husband was still at home, I had become his full time carer. That was all I did. There was no time, space or energy for any relationship. With the burden of the actual care tasks lifted, and with the support of a full team of staff and a fully equipped nursing home, a full time chef, activities co-ordinator and physiotherapist - I had the time to just relax with him. And because i wasn't having to do things he didn't want me to, like change pads etc, my husband was able to relax with me again. Of course, i was lucky - to the day he died, although he didn't know who I was, my husband continued to recognise me as someone he loved very much, and he would light up when he saw me coming.