How it is

echo66

May 28, 2015
Mum is 83 and was dx with mixed dementia in Nov 2017. I'd been staying with her and looking after her at home since Feb 2015 (she also has severe COPD). In Oct 2018 after having been in hospital for 5 months, she was finally transferred to a Nursing home as Doctors said she no longer had mental capacity and it wasn't safe for her to return home.

When I think back to early 2017, Mum and I were still going out shopping at the weekend, she was fairly mobile, although that deteriorated and I ended up taking her out in a wheelchair. She could hold a conversation and we still had a laugh and a joke. Fast forward to 2019 and conversations either go round in an endless loop or she forgets within a few minutes what we were talking about. Sometimes she talks about family (who are long dead) as though they were still here, that she has been on the bus and out to work etc. Her weight has dropped to 5 1/2 stone, she barely eats or drinks enough to keep her going. She is either constantly sleeping or agitated and anxious. Most of the time she still knows who I am but occasionally will ask 'who am I to her', or confuses me with some other family member. Oddly enough she always remembers my husbands name (even though she hasn't seen him for years) but one day asked me who his wife was...

Mostly I can distract or change the subject, engage her in attempting a crossword or number puzzle, but lately she's lost interest in everything - even watching snooker (she was was always an avid follower) or listening to the radio (it was on constantly at home). Her personal hygiene is awful and the NH say they 'can't force her' to wash or change her clothes, so she very often doesn't do either for days at a time. I try to coax her out of her clothes when I can and take them away to wash, but it's a hit and miss affair. She is intermittently doubly incontinent and has had a couple of falls since going into the home, none of which she remembers.

Back in July last year I was told by the hospital that she probably wouldn't survive more than a couple of days.... 7 months on and her physical and mental health has deteriorated significantly but she is still hanging in there. I am assuming she is in the mid to late stage of dementia, but medical people don't want to commit themselves and just say that it affects everyone differently and they go through it in their own way. Yes I know that, but they must have some idea as to where she is at...?
Then the guilt monster kicks in and I feel ashamed. People have said she is probably content/happy in her own way... but they don't know Mum like I do, and she is suffering. Whilst I dread the thought of losing her, I can't help but think it is incredibly cruel to keep a person going when in such poor health and they have no quality of life.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi echo66 and welcome to talking point I feel for you I really do ,this is such a hard journey for all of us to be on .Could your mum maybe in late stage ,my mum has had Alzheimer's for six years,the last two being worse, and like you ,I took mum out every Saturday for fifteen years ,and she loved her Saturdays out,and I miss them so much crying as I write this ,as now she has no interest,her balance is bad ,and she hardly talks anymore .I know it's so hard to watch your mother suffering and I totally agree with you it is not living for that person and it can last for such a long time xxx

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
The cruelty of this desease is that the body survives when the mind is already dead, so there is no quality of life left.
Don't feel guilty. You are not responsible for your mum's illness. You are only a sad, scared , and powerless witness to it.

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Mum is 83 and was dx with mixed dementia in Nov 2017. I'd been staying with her and looking after her at home since Feb 2015 (she also has severe COPD). In Oct 2018 after having been in hospital for 5 months, she was finally transferred to a Nursing home as Doctors said she no longer had mental capacity and it wasn't safe for her to return home.

When I think back to early 2017, Mum and I were still going out shopping at the weekend, she was fairly mobile, although that deteriorated and I ended up taking her out in a wheelchair. She could hold a conversation and we still had a laugh and a joke. Fast forward to 2019 and conversations either go round in an endless loop or she forgets within a few minutes what we were talking about. Sometimes she talks about family (who are long dead) as though they were still here, that she has been on the bus and out to work etc. Her weight has dropped to 5 1/2 stone, she barely eats or drinks enough to keep her going. She is either constantly sleeping or agitated and anxious. Most of the time she still knows who I am but occasionally will ask 'who am I to her', or confuses me with some other family member. Oddly enough she always remembers my husbands name (even though she hasn't seen him for years) but one day asked me who his wife was...

Mostly I can distract or change the subject, engage her in attempting a crossword or number puzzle, but lately she's lost interest in everything - even watching snooker (she was was always an avid follower) or listening to the radio (it was on constantly at home). Her personal hygiene is awful and the NH say they 'can't force her' to wash or change her clothes, so she very often doesn't do either for days at a time. I try to coax her out of her clothes when I can and take them away to wash, but it's a hit and miss affair. She is intermittently doubly incontinent and has had a couple of falls since going into the home, none of which she remembers.

Back in July last year I was told by the hospital that she probably wouldn't survive more than a couple of days.... 7 months on and her physical and mental health has deteriorated significantly but she is still hanging in there. I am assuming she is in the mid to late stage of dementia, but medical people don't want to commit themselves and just say that it affects everyone differently and they go through it in their own way. Yes I know that, but they must have some idea as to where she is at...?
Then the guilt monster kicks in and I feel ashamed. People have said she is probably content/happy in her own way... but they don't know Mum like I do, and she is suffering. Whilst I dread the thought of losing her, I can't help but think it is incredibly cruel to keep a person going when in such poor health and they have no quality of life.
Hi echoo66, your post is a mirror of my mum and me with the exception that my mum moved from home (with me living with her in order for us to manage) to a care home when I couldn't manage 24/7 any longer. Mum has been in care for almost 2 years and this disease is absolutely horrific. Existing but not living with any quality of life whatsoever. There's little comfort except to say that you aren't alone I share your sadness and I'm sending love and a hug in support xxx

echo66

May 28, 2015
Mum back in hospital Monday evening due to exacerbation of COPD, after 27 hours in A&E they finally found her a bed on a ward. Low blood gasses have badly affected her dementia and although she remains on oxygen her stats keep dropping every time they try to wean her off it. She is now more confused than ever. The doctor has agreed she shouldn't be escalated to ITU if she deteriorates further as it would not be in her best interest. I'm not sure I want her to be discharged on oxygen either and feel she should be allowed to slip away peacefully if she gets worse again, but at the same time thinking 'how do I have the right to determine whether she is saved through medical intervention or allowed to die?'

In some respects I wish they hadn't intervened on Monday night and just let her go, but the nursing home were keen to offload responsibility as there was no non-escalation plan in place.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Maybe its time to have a frank conversation with the doctors @echo66
Lots of doctors keep going as they afraid that they would be blamed for that persons death, but might actually be relieved if you say that you think it would be best to just let them slip away.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Mum back in hospital Monday evening due to exacerbation of COPD, after 27 hours in A&E they finally found her a bed on a ward. Low blood gasses have badly affected her dementia and although she remains on oxygen her stats keep dropping every time they try to wean her off it. She is now more confused than ever. The doctor has agreed she shouldn't be escalated to ITU if she deteriorates further as it would not be in her best interest. I'm not sure I want her to be discharged on oxygen either and feel she should be allowed to slip away peacefully if she gets worse again, but at the same time thinking 'how do I have the right to determine whether she is saved through medical intervention or allowed to die?'

In some respects I wish they hadn't intervened on Monday night and just let her go, but the nursing home were keen to offload responsibility as there was no non-escalation plan in place.
Hi @echo66 I have to agree with the sentiments of the replies to your first comment in that most of us carers feel that way about their loved one and quality of life. Someone else on another thread described their loved one as 'a shell' of their former self, I though that was pretty apt.

My dad is more or less a shell too, although there are rare occasions where the loving personality of his former self presents itself out of the blue for a few hours even though he will still talk his babble, be incontinent, etc.

I too have thought if he was unfortunate to be that ill to require hospital supervision/stay/etc, I would opt for the 'do not resuscitate' if asked. I don't think now there's anything he can do for himself now. I used think he could eat and drink for himself but we've had issues of him tipping food/drink over himself.

echo66

May 28, 2015
I have never known Mum to be so breathless, sleepy and confused on oxygen as she was today. I was wondering if it was actually on. I asked an HCA to check, the O2 was on and according to the monitor, Mum's stats were 90% - (88-92 being the acceptable range for someone with COPD). So I can't understand why she was in such a bad state. Yesterday she could walk very slowly with me to the toilet, today she just couldn't manage it.

I am hoping to speak to the Geriatrician tomorrow as they are talking about discharge back to the nursing home on oxygen. I have doubts as to whether this is the right course of action, but need to know what their policy is on withdrawal of treatment.

I think she is being unnecessarily upset by the escalation to hospital because she doesn't remember being in the nursing home, so returning there will be re-traumatising for her.

I feel like it's a lose-lose situation whatever is decided.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
03/03/19
RIP Mum, at least you are no longer in distress. ❤️

So sorry for your loss @echo66 but like you, my mum has deteriorated & I do think that a gradual letting go is the best way. As long as the pwd is pain free. My mum might think differently but to be kept alive & be little more than a shell & not able to do anything & have no quality of life. It’s not a way of living at all. RIP to your mum & hugs to you xx