Where to begin

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
Hi All My sister in law cares for her husband who has dementia and is imobile, he has a good care package with 2 carers coming 4 times a day for personal care, in October sil developed pneumonia, she still has it as she kept hiding her antibiotics and at other times just forgot to take them which we only realised in December, since then it became more obvious that she was having problems with her own memory, in the beginning of Jan went to the doctor who refered her to the mental health team she had an assessment last week and the think that she does have altzhimers and are arranging for her to have a brain scan, in the mean time she has been prescribed more antibiotics, her husband's care manager has been informed of the situation, and has said , she has no problems with the carer prompting her to take her meds but as she has not got a care plan they can't give her them, also she is having difficulty preparing meals, neither of them are eating much, the care manager has said the carers can help with meal too, but as this is not in a care plan either some carers are prompting with meds and meals and other arent. I call most days and help where I can, but she needs some proper support or she is never getting over her pneumonia, no one is giving advice on how to go about this.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Your SIL needs to have her own assessment, to see if she needs a care plan herself. As with everything, there is a wait for such things, so you could try getting things started by contacting ASC & saying there is a “provisional” diagnosis of Alzheimers & you believe she needs her own assessment

The care plan for her husband can only cover him. The carers that prompt your SIL to take her meds, or make a meal for her, are working outside the plan. (They shouldn’t really). The “sticklers for rules” won’t do it :rolleyes: I had a few of those with my mum. She needed cream out in her legs, but because the mum had bought the cream herself, rather than getting it on prescription ... some refused to apply it. :eek: They worked to the care plan only

I appreciate how frustrating it must be for you, the carers are there & it wouldn’t take any real extra time, but without it being in the care plan ....

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
Hello @thats life

Have you local Alzheimer`s Society help? It sounds as if your sister in law could really do with some practical support to help her get the help she needs.

Here is a link for local support.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you
Thank your right she does need help, there is no local group in this area, agencies are aware of her problems but no formal diagnose yet, so no care plan, to be honest I think there is probably a safeguarding issue, due to her being the main carer for husband and not being able to look after herself let alone him, he is also doubly incontinent, the house stinks of urine carers leave the washing next to the machine but she didn't always remember to put it in, there is so much she is not doing now, her own personal hygiene is not great often she is not washed or dressed, I could go on and on, neither of them is particularly elderly he is 72 she is 67

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm shocked that the carers don't sort out the laundry properly. My dad's carers managed to get his laundry washed and hung on the line to dry all in the space of a 45 minutes morning visit.

Only one carer per visit also made sure dad had breakfast, was washed and dressed and took his meds. He wasn't always co-operative.

Dad had 3 visits a day so meds would be taken at one of those visits even if not at correct time if dad was being difficult.

I agree your mil needs a care assessment and possibly look at a better care agency.