Quitting smoking help!!

SF_fox

Feb 7, 2019
As for vaping as a way of quitting smoking, the discipline and willpower are equally important as when you quit cold turkey, vaping facilitates the process, but doesn’t do all the work for you. I know people, who only changed one addiction to another (even though less harmful). It worked for me, but I had a clear goal and the plan, and I’m happy that one day I came across one of those motivational articles on VapingDaily and turned my attention to vaping. I’ve won my nicotine addiction, but, again, it’s all up to you.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
From personal experience I can vouch for vaping. It’s kept me off cigarettes successfully for nearly two years now. Of course I’m still a nicotine addict. But hey, one thing at a time.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Vaping stopped me smoking after nearly 40 years, painlessly. Like Grim, after about a year and a half, I'm still a nicotine addict but I feel a heck of a lot better and I don't cough anymore. I would not have a cigarette if you paid me. It also seems better when I am in a situation where I can't smoke - I'm not climbing the walls for the next fag! I think when or if I do give up the nicotine, it won't be so hard.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I quit for the last time 15 years ago. I used Zyban (bupropion). I actually used it twice and the second time it stuck. I had quit a number of times over the years for varying lengths of time. I used various methods.

I do think that the motivation has to be there. I did not quit because I wanted to, I quit because it was the smart thing to do.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Does anyone on here have tips on how to stop smoking whilst caring for pwd. I'm dreading it. But I have to stop for health and wealth reasons. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for patches. I've heard drinking water helps? Of course it's the mood swings is what I'm really worried about. My doctor is very good and sympathetic she knows it's not going to be easy when you are already under great stress. Just wondered if anyone had stopped and how you coped. I would like to go cold turkey but I don't think this is a good idea. Gp says the patches seem to be the most popular in really quitting. I've been smoking more just the thoughts of stopping is stressful. Any good advice appreciated.

I was lucky and managed to pack up November 2017 and went cold turkey,I stood back and looked at the situation and realised that the cigarrettes weren't a saviour that made me feel relaxed when having one,they themselves were the cause of the anxiety via nicotine which made me feel agitated and in turn made me have another cigarette and thus the cycle continued.I have read before with an addiction if you have made 30 days clean you have broken the habit and you can either then stop or go back to that bad place.
Maybe I'm just lucky,I managed to give up a habit of alcohol after 30 years on it and will be teetotal for 2 years come April,so there is always hope.
I now treat myself to a nice steak or a chinese takeaway,I have put on 2.5 stones though

Last edited: