Dad has passed

Heylowe

Mar 15, 2015
Sadly my dad lost his fight on 17th January. In the end it was actually very quick, peaceful but also not really expected although he had just been sleeping the last few weeks.
The carers in the home were absolutely amazing and it could not have been any more peaceful surrounded by family.
It just doesn't feel quite real yet as for so long we have looked after dad or over the last 10 months, visited nearly daily the home where he lived.
It's the hardest disease to watch for the family and my dad was often scared and frustrated at not being able to communicate or move. As we were told, he ended his life in the faetel position, looking so calm and as if sleeping.
I admire everyone on this awful journey and wish I could do more to support everyone.
Take care as this will be my last post
The support on this site is amazing xxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences.

Remember that TP will still be here for you as you adjust.

Heylowe

Mar 15, 2015
Thank you - I'm just so exhausted all the time, is this normal? Also, I haven't really cried. Do you think this will come after the funeral....
I know I was dreadfully upset when we put him in the home, I suppose dementia actually means lots of grieving along the way.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I was exhausted during the time between mums death and the funeral too. It is a very emotional time and the mind and body needs sleep.
Everyone grieves in their own way. I felt numb for months after and still have very rarely cried. Dont worry about it. However it happens will be right for you

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Sadly my dad lost his fight on 17th January. In the end it was actually very quick, peaceful but also not really expected although he had just been sleeping the last few weeks.
The carers in the home were absolutely amazing and it could not have been any more peaceful surrounded by family.
It just doesn't feel quite real yet as for so long we have looked after dad or over the last 10 months, visited nearly daily the home where he lived.
It's the hardest disease to watch for the family and my dad was often scared and frustrated at not being able to communicate or move. As we were told, he ended his life in the faetel position, looking so calm and as if sleeping.
I admire everyone on this awful journey and wish I could do more to support everyone.
Take care as this will be my last post
The support on this site is amazing xxxx
Hugs to you and all your family.

MaNaAk

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I
Yes, I was exhausted during the time between mums death and the funeral too. It is a very emotional time and the mind and body needs sleep.
Everyone grieves in their own way. I felt numb for months after and still have very rarely cried. Dont worry about it. However it happens will be right for you
thith
Thank you - I'm just so exhausted all the time, is this normal? Also, I haven't really cried. Do you think this will come after the funeral....
I know I was dreadfully upset when we put him in the home, I suppose dementia actually means lots of grieving along the way.

Everyone does grief in their own way. I find the period between a death and a funeral a very strange time - a kind of limbo. There's a lot to do, much of which you only have to do after a death, but it's the time you're least equipped to do it. And yes, absolutely draining.

You may or may not find tears come later - if they do, they do - if not, that's fine too. I shed so many tears during my mum amd dads illnesses (particularly mum) that I'd done a lot of my grieving before she died.

Be kind to yourself - rest when you can, cry if you cry and if you feel happy at memories of dad, that's ok too x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77