If they could see her through my eyes ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Visiting a relative of mine in hospital this afternoon my wife was lively and joined in the conversation with ease. There were a few familiar confabulations and unlikely tales but it seemed that the other visitors hardly noticed any difference in her. Yet this morning she was walking around oblivious to the smell from her soiled clothing. I had to help her to wash herself and get changed, not without a few tears from her. Then all the way back from the hospital she was worked up about the dog being left on his own, although it was for just over 2 hours in total. Now she is wondering what time ‘knacker Ned’ (perhaps my alter ego) will be home to walk the dog.

It is astonishing how quickly she can change. If ever I doubted that ‘hostess mode’ was real, I’ve seen it in operation today at the hospital.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
First time I saw was a couple of years ago when C's son was here and they got on great, then literally 10 minutes after he had left she had no idea he was here and no idea who or where her son was.
It's an awful, sad day. Sorry your wife's dementia gave you such a sad end to your day Northumbrian K.

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
My husband, although not so far down the line, does something similar in that we can go out and he will act completely normal but the next day he will be very confused. We have also been out with friends, had a great time and then on the way home he's asked who we've been with and where. I've worked out with him that he's more easily confused when he's tired and think that it's the effort of being sociable that exhausts him. I love it that he makes the effort though.