Fecal incontinence?

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Sorry if too much information...

Dad, who lives in care, has been urine incontinent for some months now. The last two or three weeks he seems to have become fecal incontinent too. At least that's what we assumed, but these episodes are becoming more frequent and more explosive by the day :eek:. The doctor has been contacted and a sample sent for testing, but I wondered if anyone has experience of this? There's a lot of diarrhoea, but some movements are completely normal. Could this still be dementia related incontinence?

I was asked how far we'd want to take any further tests. Dad's 89 and can still (just about) mobilise, but his speech is non-existent and his understanding very limited. He's also lost weight (a big worry). I suggested we should stop short of anything invasive (i.e. camera) which I know he'd be very distressed by. Any thoughts?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband spent a day in hospital last week originally because he hadnt passed urine for 12 then 16 hours. What they found was that he was dehydrated and his bowel completely full. I knew he had passed some faecal matter the previous night but it seems that when the bowel is blocked loose stools can cause an overflow leaving the bowel still blocked. He was given Laxido and it took some days to clear. I wonder if your Dad has a similar condition.

In the hospital they were able to measure the urine in his bladder and the stools in his bowel with a scanner so no camera needed.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Sorry to hear about your husband's problems, marionq. I hope he's much better now.

I had wondered if it might be a blockage. He is given laxative in the care home (movicol, I think) and everything has worked fine for the past 2 or 3 years. But I know it can change. It's good to know that scans can be done to diagnose this. My feeling is the sample will be clear (no infection) and he'll need a trip to hospital :-(.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm no expert, not a medical professional, so take this with the usual disclaimer, please.

From what I've heard here, while it could be down to the dementia, there could also be something physical going on. An impaction accompanied by overflow diarrhea is not uncommon, and there are other issues that might be causing this. Still others just have a difficult time treading the line between diarrhea and regular bowel movements.

Dehydration would make things worse so I would consider fluid intake. It's smart to have a fecal sample tested. And the weight loss is also concerning, not that I need to tell you that! If you would be comfortable calling the GP/doctor to have things checked out (maybe bloodwork, I quite agree with no colonoscopy, but an ultrasound isn't invasive or painful), I'd consider it.

My mother went through a recurring, or at least recalcitrant, C diff infection last year and it was horrible, she lost a huge amount of weight and it took months to clear up. You have my sympathy. I hope you can get some helpful information.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Yes it sounds like overflow. He might need an enema.

Thanks. I hope the sample results don't take too long, I'd hate to think he had any discomfort.

I'm no expert, not a medical professional, so take this with the usual disclaimer, please.

From what I've heard here, while it could be down to the dementia, there could also be something physical going on. An impaction accompanied by overflow diarrhea is not uncommon, and there are other issues that might be causing this. Still others just have a difficult time treading the line between diarrhea and regular bowel movements.

Dehydration would make things worse so I would consider fluid intake. It's smart to have a fecal sample tested. And the weight loss is also concerning, not that I need to tell you that! If you would be comfortable calling the GP/doctor to have things checked out (maybe bloodwork, I quite agree with no colonoscopy, but an ultrasound isn't invasive or painful), I'd consider it.

My mother went through a recurring, or at least recalcitrant, C diff infection last year and it was horrible, she lost a huge amount of weight and it took months to clear up. You have my sympathy. I hope you can get some helpful information.

Thank you, Amy. It does sound at least partly physical, doesn't it? I wish he could tell us if he has any pain, for instance. It's incredibly difficult! At least he's able to pass something, so not completely blocked, and there's no blood as far as I'm aware. Dad's GP is usually quite quick to act so hopefully we'll have a few answers soon.

Your poor mum, it's agonising to see our loved ones go through this :(.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Hi @looviloo
Not to sure if your still posting but how is your mum?
We now have same bowel explosions going on, any advice pls

I'm still here! Just taking a break, while I can :)

Sorry to hear about your problem... it was my dad who had issues with his bowels, and since then he has moved care home and is now doubly incontinent. We think that the bowel explosions were the beginnings of faecal incontinence, since we could find no other reason for it.

If I remember rightly, it lasted for a month or so and as you know, very unpleasant at the time. But it did get better, and dad was assessed by the continence service and now receives pull ups on prescription.

I hope this helps. You might want to look at medication, possible viral illness etc, but keep in mind that it might lead to long term incontinence. Good luck xxx

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi @looviloo
Thanks for reply
Mum has been double incontinence go over year now but has had bowel explosions for approx 6mths:eek:
The home and Dr don’t want to investigate so it just seems to live with it:mad:
They think something might be going on but not sure