Let down by the Council

mirandaellen

Jan 3, 2019
Hello,

I am hoping that someone can help my mum and I please....we like many on here are struggling with my grandmothers illness and we are both extremely stressed, it has taken a real toll on our personal lives. My nan is 98 (!) and still lives in her own home (partly because there is no room in the dementia care homes nearby and because she said that she didn't want to go in one).

Long story short, my mum has been on the list for a carers assessment for a year and yet nothing...BUT today we find out that even though nan has the care assessment for her next week, it could be 6 MONTHS before they can give her care. I feel outraged. I know that they are short but at this rate she wont even be here in 6 weeks let alone months. Surely she is priority, but we know that because mum is about we are at the bottom of the list!!!

Does anyone have any advise on what we can do please? Savings are low and my mum has had to give up her business to care for my nan so tensions are high. Desperate times.

Thank you all.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @mirandaellen, you are welcome here.

Other than telling SS that you and your mother are no longer able to do the caring and that they, therefore, have an emergency on their hands I don't know what to say. After all, it's the LA that have the legal duty of care towards a vulnerable person, no you and your mother. I would use these terms with them.

It may be an idea to speak to the experts on the help line for some guidance through the system. The help line details are

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Pacucho

Hello

I see you have already received excellent advice.

Also, you may want to see if you have a local Carers Centre near you, because if you do they should be able to help. To find out click here.

Finally, another option to use is to make a formal complaint against the Council concerned. You should be able to find details on how to do this on their website.
Hope this helps,

Paco