Vascular dementia end stage mom gets red face at same time each day.

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
Almost every day at around 5pm and sometimes earlier in the day, mom's face gets flushed and warm to the touch like a sunburn. I asked the Hospice doctor what this could be, was it blood pressure??
She said the brain is not regulating the thermostat in her body correctly. Once the nurse was checking on her while her face was red and took her blood pressure and the bottom number was 44 (diastolic). I was told my mom has shown very unusual symptoms of a dementia patient UGH!!! Poor mom.
Anyone else ever see this in their loved one?

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Almost every day at around 5pm and sometimes earlier in the day, mom's face gets flushed and warm to the touch like a sunburn. I asked the Hospice doctor what this could be, was it blood pressure??
She said the brain is not regulating the thermostat in her body correctly. Once the nurse was checking on her while her face was red and took her blood pressure and the bottom number was 44 (diastolic). I was told my mom has shown very unusual symptoms of a dementia patient UGH!!! Poor mom.
Anyone else ever see this in their loved one?

My Mum has Vascular dementia and a couple of times recently she's been red and flushed and obviously over-heated. One particular recent hot day though, she had 3 blankets on, so no wonder! That's probably because she can no longer regulate her body temperature or alert staff to feeling too hot or cold.
I did point it out to staff, but their reply was simply, "But she hasn't got a temperature." I pointed out, that no she hadn't got a temperature but that didn't prevent her over-heating in the warm weather, which can be problematic for people with heart problems.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
I found out with Mum that she couldn't regulate her own temperature very well; just one of those many extra aspects of care that I stumbled over along the dementia pathway! I asked Mum's lovely carers also to check that she wasn't over- as well as under-heating even if her hands and feet were cold and blue. We have an electric fan for her which always seemed to do the trick.

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
My Mum has Vascular dementia and a couple of times recently she's been red and flushed and obviously over-heated. One particular recent hot day though, she had 3 blankets on, so no wonder! That's probably because she can no longer regulate her body temperature or alert staff to feeling too hot or cold.
I did point it out to staff, but their reply was simply, "But she hasn't got a temperature." I pointed out, that no she hadn't got a temperature but that didn't prevent her over-heating in the warm weather, which can be problematic for people with heart problems.

I have her at home with me and I usually only have a sheet over her because I know the red flushing face is coming at that time of day. Her face is warm, hands and feet are cool to the touch. She always looks very weak and lethargic when this happens, mouth open.

jdaughter

Dec 29, 2017
My mum is exactly the same. Her cheeks and nose go so red, but she doesn't feel hot? Her mouth is open and so very weak. It's always at the same time of day.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum is the compete opposite in that she feels the cold all the time. You can go in her house & it is absolutely roasting to the point that you can barely breathe.
She will have on a bra, a vest top, a jumper, a cardigan & have a blanket over her legs & a poncho on her back & front. And still feel cold.

LouBear

Oct 3, 2016
My grandad has recently started to seemingly be unable to regulate his temperature any more - particularly when he is too hot.

It’s always warm in the house which is grandads preference but there have been times lately where I have found grandad to have got particularly hot and is dabbing sweat from himself with tissues. It just doesn’t seem to cross his mind at all to take a layer or two off to cool down

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels