Just venting...

kane4083

Dec 12, 2018
Just venting I guess....My husband was diagnosed a few years back after he got lost going home by himself, after taking me to the airport. Since then he declined rapidly and now this 70 year old man, walks around the house all day long, with not much to say. I believe he knows he is not making much sense when he does talk so he does not say much now. It is hard for me to understand what he is trying to say at times, so I understand and since I work from home all day, it does not bother me in the least that he does not talk to me all day.

He was eating really good for a while, although would not eat what I cooked anymore. We had to go out to eat for the last 6 months or so, and I think too it was to get out of the house a little. This meant I got out too as he would not let me out of his sight for the past year. I felt trapped and overwhelmed there for a long time, but this past week, not eating much, and very paranoid. Does not want to go out of the house, and when he does I can see he is on edge. This means that I can get out a little without him which has really helped me emotionally quite a bit. That is all I wanted was to have some me time. I never leave him alone though for more then an hour at a time, mostly 1/2 hour.

He is finally sleeping through the night, as the last 6 months I felt like I was going out of my mind, as he was waking me every hour on the hour. If he was awake I had to be too. I tried so hard to be patient but since I am still working there were times that I flipped and screamed at him to stop. Needless to say it did not and the next day I felt like **** for yelling at him, although he did not recall what happened in the night anyway.

He has not been comfortable in our townhouse either for some time. Afraid to go upstairs to bed. I had to convince him each night that nobody is up there and it is part of our home. I see he has trouble finding spoons etc.. just no longer familiar with our house now that we lived in for 37 years.

He won't take his pills for me anymore as he don't trust me. I leave them out and when he is good and ready he may or may not take them. He keeps telling me he is not going to the doctors and last Friday I went alone even though he was suppose to join me. Next time I will have to trick him into going by not telling him where I am going and once there say it is just for me. He is just keeping me company.

I am not sure what to expect as I have never experienced this before with any other friends or family, but in reading I am very concerned obviously.

I plan on keeping him home as long as I can, and maybe even bring in a visiting nurse or help when the time comes that I can no longer handle things on my own. That's my plan anyway but I see that every day is different. He is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Some days nice and just quiet, other days wakes up and is just miserable and nasty.

Today I have to convince him to let me help him take a shower, shave and brush his teeth as the last FEW days he would not allow it.

Keeping it together in Sunrise. Thanks for listening and for all you caregivers out there, my heart goes out to you.

:)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome kane4083. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

I wonder if you may find any local support services like a memory café to be of some use. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets that cover things like care needs assessments, Power of Attorney etc., can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If communicating becomes an issue, a few handy tips can be picked from the useful thread that can be reached with this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Please get things in place to help you both when the time comes. Power of Attorney for finance and also for health and welfare is a must and a first. It can be done online then register immediately as you don't know when it will be urgent.

Then council tax reduction can be applied for as well as Attendance Allowance. Very important as costs for this illness can get higher. Look at local daycare and see if you can get him on a waiting list for one day then more if possible. That would give you a few hours of freedom. I value mine more than money.

Come back and ask questions as there is always someone here with good advice and experience.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum from me too, kane4083. Like marion says day centres are a lifeline for carers and if you can persuade your husband to go then it will help you both. Have had a care needs assessment. You did say you want to get nursing help in sometime in future, but you can get carers in just to help with meds and he may accept it from someone in uniform.

kane4083

Dec 12, 2018
Please get things in place to help you both when the time comes. Power of Attorney for finance and also for health and welfare is a must and a first. It can be done online then register immediately as you don't know when it will be urgent.

Then council tax reduction can be applied for as well as Attendance Allowance. Very important as costs for this illness can get higher. Look at local daycare and see if you can get him on a waiting list for one day then more if possible. That would give you a few hours of freedom. I value mine more than money.

Come back and ask questions as there is always someone here with good advice and experience.
Thank you so much. I do have a power of ATTORNEY and living will.

At this time he only wants me as he still remembers me for the most part. My sister lives next door and he wont even stay with her at this time.

One day at a time but thank you so much for your advice/suggestions. I need all the help I can get.

kane4083

Dec 12, 2018
Welcome to the forum from me too, kane4083. Like marion says day centres are a lifeline for carers and if you can persuade your husband to go then it will help you both. Have had a care needs assessment. You did say you want to get nursing help in sometime in future, but you can get carers in just to help with meds and he may accept it from someone in uniform.
I will keep that in mind too about carers. Thank you so much.

kane4083

Dec 12, 2018
Hi Kane, it's so hard isn't it? It's great here though, so much support xxxx
Thank you for responding and yes it is. Some days harder then others so I am really trying to take one day at a time. This time of the year is hard for me so I'm more melancholy then normal, so I guess that's why I decided to vent and reach out finally for support from those who have experienced this, even though my family is very supportive and would be on the next plane if I needed them.

I lost my son a few days after Christmas. Even though it was 23 years ago, it feels like yesterday each year, as you can imagine.

So I'm feeling it right now. :(

I am a very strong person so I know I can handle what may be ahead for us, but very sensitive emotionally. Always have been since my son was born.

Hearing from you all makes me so happy. I know you are out there. I am not one to sit with a psychologist and pour my heart out, so this truly helps.

First day and I'm feeling better. I do not feel alone in this journey.

Thanks...

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Aww Kane that's a lot to have to deal with and there is no timescale on grief :( I agree about Christmas being hard; o think we're sold this ' perfect Christmas ' package with all the bows and bells and instagram filters.... it makes you want to scream and run away - but we can't :( that's why this little corner of the internet is so precious :) xxx

kane4083

Dec 12, 2018
Aww Kane that's a lot to have to deal with and there is no timescale on grief :( I agree about Christmas being hard; o think we're sold this ' perfect Christmas ' package with all the bows and bells and instagram filters.... it makes you want to scream and run away - but we can't :( that's why this little corner of the internet is so precious :) xxx
:) YUP