A bit of light relief on a wet and cold wintry day!

ex-rambler

Nov 8, 2018
Friends,
When I got up this morning I did my usual, go into the kitchen to put the kettle on for some tea. I noticed that the water filter jug we use to fill up the kettle, needing topping up so I did it. The lid was missing from the filter jug. I looked everywhere in the kitchen, larder, fridge, bin, etc, then gave up and found dad (living with Vascular Dementia/ Alzheimers) to ask what he knew about it. Nothing he said. He admitted he had searched the kitchen for missing lid without success, so did his usual, left the jug lidless and returned to the warmth of the front room.
When mum got up I asked if she knew where it was, had it got broken or anything the evening before? No mum knew nothing so sent me on a tour of the garden and sheds to see if “anyone” had inadvertently left it out there. I checked four sheds, the greenhouse, the garage and a quick look in the dustbin, without success. I decided to give up as these things often turn up when least expected so made mum and I a cup of tea instead. The kettle needed topping up after so I opened the lid…………….. yes you guessed it. INSIDE the kettle at a very tight fit was the lid of the filter jug. Evidently when someone filled up the kettle last time they tipped the lid into the kettle with the water!! Not easy to do and even harder to get out!
Seeing as the lid had been boiled up inside the kettle at least twice we were surprised when we eventually got it out that it was not warped. It still fitted the jug.

Mum and I both have our suspicions who did it and did not confess to it. Never a dull moment. Let’s just say it wasn’t me! We have asked dad several times NOT to put water in filter jug or kettle as he can’t see when to stop and regularly overfills them. Another thing we can’t get through to him. Such is life. Happy days.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Friends,
When I got up this morning I did my usual, go into the kitchen to put the kettle on for some tea. I noticed that the water filter jug we use to fill up the kettle, needing topping up so I did it. The lid was missing from the filter jug. I looked everywhere in the kitchen, larder, fridge, bin, etc, then gave up and found dad (living with Vascular Dementia/ Alzheimers) to ask what he knew about it. Nothing he said. He admitted he had searched the kitchen for missing lid without success, so did his usual, left the jug lidless and returned to the warmth of the front room.
When mum got up I asked if she knew where it was, had it got broken or anything the evening before? No mum knew nothing so sent me on a tour of the garden and sheds to see if “anyone” had inadvertently left it out there. I checked four sheds, the greenhouse, the garage and a quick look in the dustbin, without success. I decided to give up as these things often turn up when least expected so made mum and I a cup of tea instead. The kettle needed topping up after so I opened the lid…………….. yes you guessed it. INSIDE the kettle at a very tight fit was the lid of the filter jug. Evidently when someone filled up the kettle last time they tipped the lid into the kettle with the water!! Not easy to do and even harder to get out!
Seeing as the lid had been boiled up inside the kettle at least twice we were surprised when we eventually got it out that it was not warped. It still fitted the jug.

Mum and I both have our suspicions who did it and did not confess to it. Never a dull moment. Let’s just say it wasn’t me! We have asked dad several times NOT to put water in filter jug or kettle as he can’t see when to stop and regularly overfills them. Another thing we can’t get through to him. Such is life. Happy days.

Dear Ex- Rambler,

Some time ago in my thread entitled 'The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers' I told everyone about the time when I asked dad if he had seen my brother's parcels and he said no. Anyway a few days later he said that someone had given him some clothes but that he didn't want them. He showed me what they were and I realised that he had opened my brothers parcels and put them in his wardrobe. My brother wasn't exactly pleased but his partner and I found it rather funny because we could visualise my brother paying us a visit and finding dad in his clothes looking very trendy! A few days late my brother rang up to make inquiries about more parcels and asked me to look in dad's cupboard. I looked and there it was and so my brother asked to tell dad that if he wants his clothes he can have them. Dad didn't see the funny side of this but again I thought it was rather hilarious.

MaNaAk

PS: Your dad would have had to figure out how to get the filter jug lid into the kettle!

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Posted on this a couple of years back: Did my Christmas cards on 1st December, addressed and stamped the envelopes and retired (smug) to bed, leaving the cards on the kitchen table. The next morning I came downstairs and the cards have vanished. I looked everywhere I could think of, including in the shed - somewhere mum had not been for at least three years. No cards, so reluctantly I had to redo them. Coming up to Christmas with my 'super smug' head on I decided to cook meringues. I found the cards - in the bottom oven of the Aga. Of course they had not been placed there by mum so it must have been that stranger who often came into the house and put furniture polish in the fridge and newspapers under the pillow.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Posted on this a couple of years back: Did my Christmas cards on 1st December, addressed and stamped the envelopes and retired (smug) to bed, leaving the cards on the kitchen table. The next morning I came downstairs and the cards have vanished. I looked everywhere I could think of, including in the shed - somewhere mum had not been for at least three years. No cards, so reluctantly I had to redo them. Coming up to Christmas with my 'super smug' head on I decided to cook meringues. I found the cards - in the bottom oven of the Aga. Of course they had not been placed there by mum so it must have been that stranger who often came into the house and put furniture polish in the fridge and newspapers under the pillow.

Dad used to wish that who ever had taken his shoes would bring them back. They would turn up under his bed!

MaNaAk

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mum cannot work out how the school boys got into her house to cut the TV wires but she knows they did! We know that she had unplugged the TV in the same way that she moved the fridge freezer to unplug that - but she knows better!

Today she was trying on new frames for some specs and having decided on a suitable pair ( which were indeed the ones that suited her best) she then pulled a face and asked the optician if she did face lifts as well! We all laughed and I said that the optician should do a bit of Botox while she fitted the frames, mums quick response was that it would take a lot of Botox to fill her wrinkles! We ended up laughing so much my eyes were watering.

It is lovely to hear that mums old wit and sarcasm is still there, hidden among her confusion but fighting free every now and again.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Friends,

I often tell my OH that Mr Nobody at it again.....
Never a dull moment, I have had very similar things happen like that to me crockery goes missing, 2 pairs of scissors went missing so we went out and bought new kitchen scissors , low and behold they turned up again after searching for long enough don't know who moves these things , it's the same person that moves everything else but we've got to laugh because you find things in the strangest of places's.Take care X