Pivotell pill dispenser - update

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi

Just thought that this might be helpful. I decided after much thought that I would try the Pivotell dispenser. Suddenly remembered that at Dad's 3 month review with Social Services, they mentioned something about it. Phoned Dad's Social Services, got a really helpful duty Social Worker (who was absolutley not a chocolate teapot:D). I explained what had happened the other week about a treble overdose. She asked me if Dad had demenita. I answered by saying that there had been no formal assessment. Not to worry, she said, I can still get one ordered for you, to help you support your Dad and keep him safe. I then asked how much I would need to pay. I was really shocked when she said, "No charge - it is assisted technology for independant living":eek: Fantasic, so I now have a Pivotell dispenser being delivered on Monday 15 Sep, for free. Not only that, she also said to me if there was anything else which I felt would help dad to stay at home and living independantly then I should ring Social Services who will get it ordered for me. I just can't moan about that, can I?

Well, looking back, it seems to me that Social Services are willing to support me as Dad's carer in any way they can. Maybe it is cheaper and easier for them to support the relative doing the caring rather than having to send in daily carer and do the support themselves.

So if anyone is in the Social Services system and you feel that you need "something" to help out, contact them, you may be surprised with the answer.:)

The next problem which I now face is getting Dad to accept this "new" dosset box. I have given it some thought and basically I am going to have lie through my back teeth. Not something that I am proud of, but if it means that he is prevented from taking an overdose, then I will do it. I do just hope that I am not like Pinocchio, or else I am really in troube:eek:

I will post later on this thread to let you know how Dad and I get on with the Pivotell.

Love Burf x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Brilliant news, Burf. I hope it works!

Never mind about lying, if we were like Pinocchio, we'd all have very long noses!

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
then asked how much I would need to pay. I was really shocked when she said, "No charge - it is assisted technology for independant living" Fantasic, so I now have a Pivotell dispenser being delivered on Monday 15 Sep, for free.

Wow thats good news .

She asked me if Dad had demenita. I answered by saying that there had been no formal assessment.

Just wondering why ?

Is it that your father does not want to have an assessment?

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Maggie

Long time no speak. Dad has not had a formal assessment. His GP arranged a memory clinic appointment earlier this year. Dad refused totally to attend it. I spoke to the consultant on the phone. The end result was that while Dad is still able to live alone without causing any harm to himself, then the consultant does not feel there is any point in "forcing" an appointment. He has told me that if/when I feel things have changed then I need to contact my GP who will then refer him back to the consultant. So far, I feel that it is working OK, but if Dad does get any worse then I may need to speak to the GP.

Love Burf x x

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Burf
Is it possible to buy this pill dispenser?

Not for my parents, who are way past this stage, but for a friend's mother who took 2 doses of heart medication in the one day, because after a nap, she thought it was the next day.

Grateful for any info

Thanks
Alfjess

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Alfjess

Yes, Hazel is quite right. However, if you Google Pivotell pill dispenser, it is available from quite a few different places. I believe that when I was looking, the cheapest place that I found it was Age Concern, still very expensive though.

Love Burf x x

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Thanks all

I had never heard of this but now going to get one for Dad as with coping with Edna he often forgets to take his tablets (on 15 a day) this is Ideal for him
thanks for the info

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Heartbroken

Sorry but I am not fully aware of your situation, but if your Dad is being supported by Social Services in caring for Edna then he should be able to get one free.:) as it is as important for Social Services to ensure that the carer is OK as well. I note that you say that your Dad has to take 15 tablets a day. There is no problem with that and the Pivotell, it can be programmed to give upto 28 doses a day.:eek: I can't imagine that anyone would need to take so many tablets.:confused:

Good luck and let me know how it all goes.

Love Burf x x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You know, if it's just ensuring that someone without dementia takes their pills at the right time (in other words, they don't need the locking aspects of the pivitoll) there are pill dispensers that are cheaper that this, at least in the US.
Edited to add: this is an example but there are a lot of others, from a variety of suppliers

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrating-5-A...ef=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1221396556&sr=1-5

Last edited:

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Dad is now using Pivotell dispenser

Hi

Just to let you all know that yesterday evening I visited Dad and supplied his next 28 days tablets in the Pivotell. I felt really nervous because, at the age of 85, Dad does not take happily to change. Anyway, I am happy to say that Dad "seems" to have accepted the Pivotell. I had to spend a lot of time explaining and re-explaining how things worked. At the end of the evening he decided that it looked OK and he would give it a go. Fantastic! So this morning I did my normal phone call whilst hoping for the best. Well, so far so good, he said that his morning pills were visible and he had taken them. Result. I do hope that it continues to go as well. The one thing which I am grateful for is that with this dispenser, Dad cannot possibly take an overdose ( as happened 3 weeks ago)

Love Burf x x

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Quick update

Just to let you all know that Dad has now been using the Pivotell for the past 5 days. It all seems to be going well and it has already stopped one overdose on Saturday. Dad rang me Saturday lunchtime to say that he had not taken his tablets but the "tablet box" was not letting him have any more.:eek: Well, on checking, Dad had already taken his daily tablets in the morning and had forgotton. Without the security of this lockable box ,he would have taken a second dose:eek:

So far, so good.

Love Burf x x

crazyjude

Nov 30, 2007
Yorkshire UK
i wonder if your dad.s chemist uses a nomad system?? It pre-supplies his meds in a free box that they deliver once a week so that you dont have to count out all the pills yourself. Or am i being obtuse and you are already talking about this??? (it IS early and im still a bit woolly)!!);)

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Crazyjude

Thanks for your information about the Nomad system. Firstly, because Dad lives in a rural area, he does not get his prescription from the chemist but it is dispensed from the surgery. (I can still remember as a child watching the GP counting out tablets in a metal triangle with sides. As I young child I was very impressed as to how he knew which shape was needed for a full course!) The dispenser at the surgery will not do weekly tablet boxes.:( So, I have taken on the role of dispenser, I order and collect all of Dad's prescription tablets. Up until recently, he has been managing quite well with a non-lockable box. However, after a treble overdose:eek:, I decided that I must do something. The Pivotell seemed to be the best option for me. Because I do not expect Dad to remember his tablets, I have not set the alarm to ring. What happens each morning is that the next dose of tablets becomes accessible and I then ring him to ask him to take his tablets. I know that it is early days yet, but so far Dad seems to be getting on really well with the Pivotell. I know that it has already stopped him taking an overdose a couple of weekends ago.:) As I have mentioned before, if anyone as a carer is having "tablet" issues and the person you are caring for is not yet getting a Social Services "carer" to help with medication prompt, then ring Social Services and ask if you can have a Pivotell machine. This has to be a much better route then spending out about £120 for something which may or maynot work.

Love Burf x x

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
One month on.....

Hi

Just a quick update. I visited Dad today to refill his Pivotell box. Well, really good news, he likes the Pivotell, especially the flashing red light which tells you it is time for tablets. In the past month, Dad has taken all of his daily tablets and HAS NOT been able to take an overdose:D. It is just so nice to know that I can now leave a months worth of tablets for Dad without the possiblity of him overdosing. I have had a few phone calls saying that "I can't open the tablet box":eek: After having explained to him that "it is an automatic box which does not need to be opened and will give you tablets when you next need them" seems to have done the trick.:rolleyes:

I realise that the timescale in which this box works for Dad/me might be short lived......but at the moment it works and it does it very well. That makes me happy.

Love Burf x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Pill box

What good news Burford.

However long it`s of use it was well worth buying for the peace of mind it`s giving you now.

Love xx