How will the professionals ever understand when they have this attitude?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh you are so lucky to Have poppies growing. I see them in gardens but don’t have any after a purchase from Homebase wilted and died over the winter.
I bought 3 young plants from a market in Ireland when I was there visiting the village my family comes from, - they have done quite well for their first year, so I am pleased with them.

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Thanks for telling our point of view Maryjoan.
Now you're a famous TV star, you've really got a foot in the door ;).

Somebody else remarked about tick-box exercises.
I'm sick of filling in forms where I have to rate things from 1 to 5, A to E, or by curious phrases that I'ld never consider saying.
It sometimes feels like that's all I've been doing for the last 18 months.
I'm also growing tired of being told that help &/or support is available....
...only to find that it isn't vaguely local, or I need to pay for it.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

I'm sick of filling in forms where I have to rate things from 1 to 5, A to E, or by curious phrases that I'ld never consider saying.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Exactly! What I am trying to put over to the powers that be in my area is that most of us carers are too tired, weary, upset, distraught, anxious, and simply fed up, to be filling in forms etc and often everyday paperwork gets missed because we cannot concentrate well enough to be doing it....

I also try to say - and they simply do not seem to have thought of this one at all - is that

NOT ONE OF US CARERS ACTUALLY WANTS TO BE A CARER

they just don't get it - we are spending our lives doing something we do not want to do 24/7 - because if we were not needed to 'care' our dearly loved PWD's would be absolutely FIT AND WELL and that is what we want more than anything.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
PS love your 'name' reminds me of my 2 year old grandson - every time he sees me he says "Hello Granny, Have you got any balloons?"

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Haha!
And do you reply:-
"Sorry darling, I don't have any balloons. But would you like some chocolate hobnobs" ??

Just guessing :rolleyes: :D

ha ha - there always seems to be a balloon in the kitchen drawer - not sure how it gets there, but no matter how often it gets taken out, there is always another one there, and usually a different colour - quite magic! He eats Grandad's digestive biscuits!! It's the grandkids who keep me ( almost) sane!

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
The original post reminds me of a carers meeting I went to. The Local Authority representative said they put so much emphasis on caring that they have 26 departments dealing with it. To me this explained an awful lot. I was in a minority of 1 so on the basis of not starting battles I can't win I stayed away from future meetings and watched as the initiative slowed spiralled up its own you-know-where. (Yes I know I should have stayed and fought but my head doesn't have room for both being a full-time carer and campaigning against impossible odds)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The original post reminds me of a carers meeting I went to. The Local Authority representative said they put so much emphasis on caring that they have 26 departments dealing with it. To me this explained an awful lot. I was in a minority of 1 so on the basis of not starting battles I can't win I stayed away from future meetings and watched as the initiative slowed spiralled up its own you-know-where. (Yes I know I should have stayed and fought but my head doesn't have room for both being a full-time carer and campaigning against impossible odds)
On the social work front I think this is common. Social care is parcelled up into so many units all tackling some aspect. The CPNs are more centred and a few years ago in Scotland we tried physically putting social workers and CPNs in the same office so they could communicate with each other and reduce the possibility of missing important information. This was part of the 5 pillars or 8 pillars initiative (the numbers kept changing) and I was asked several times if I was conscious of an improvement in service. To be honest it made no difference to me but might have done to others. I answered various tick box papers which will either be landfill by now or buried in a drawer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels