A Knight's tail #2

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Sometimes you just have to laugh. After 2 days of successfully keeping the dog out of the way whilst we had some building work done, I went off cycling secure in the knowledge that my wife's carer would do the same. But when I got home I was greeted by a dog with a lovely white tail. While her carer was in the bathroom my wife had let Knight into the back garden where the builder was applying lighthouse paint to the wall. You can imagine the scene as the dog stood in the paint and wagged his tail against the wall. It is just not possible to second guess what someone with dementia will do next!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
You don't need dementia to get a dog with a painted tail, Taz's has been brown, green and yellow this year, my OH never manages to keep the paint away from the dog. Last time I had to cut the fringe off of his tail and it is my mum that has dementia not my OH. :D

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Haha @northumbrian_k that reminds me of the day I spent painting our back door step a nice red with special doorstep paint. I stepped back to admire my handiwork and the dog shot out of the back door leaving paw prints on the doorstep, I yelled, the dog turned round and ran straight back into the kitchen and then the dining room, I yelled again and he did a full circle on my nice new pale green dining room carpet leaving red doorstep paint on it and ran out again.

I had to wait for the paint to dry and managed to kind of shave it off of the carpet and it looked fine afterwards, I also had to scrape it off of the kitchen floor tiles and repaint the doorstep. The dog stayed in the garden until the paint had worn off of his paws and the doorstep was dry.

I still miss that dog. this was about 25 years ago.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Who cleaned up the mess? You?
I am glad you can laugh about it, I fear I would focus on the fact that I was having to clean up another mess. I am such an old grump. (that is why when the last of the pets died last Nov, I vowed nothing else for me to care for....enough)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
:D:D:D To all those lovely stories.

Mine involves 2 rabbits with green (painted) noses and a daughter without dementia. Daughter was painting the living room walls and hadn't considered putting the house rabbits away as they seldom take any notice of what we're doing. I heard a shout of "help!" And dashed in to find daughter with one rabbit on her lap and the other on her head!! She couldn't move for laughing...

Both bunnies stayed with green noses for the rest of the day...luckily emulsion paint only :rolleyes:

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Yes, lovely stories indeed.
I couldn't work out how my dog got himself pink furry paws this week. Searched house and garden for evidence, but only when we went back to the park did I realise the linesmen had been using red on some of the pitches.....He's looking very Barbara Cartland!!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Our greyhound is so easy going and patient that he let me clean off the paint on his long tail - a painstaking task - whilst he seemingly fell asleep!

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Not paint, but blood. And not dementia. My clumsy, accident prone dog has a tendency to rush in from the garden without looking where he’s going and injuring his paw. Our kitchen looks like a murder scene....

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It doesn't seem like 4 years have passed since this amusing incident. Much has changed in our lives. My wife is safe and content in her care home where I visited her today. As for Knight, I didn't tell her - she wouldn't take it in - he finally crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday, just 3 weeks after his 12th birthday.

When we first met Knight in April 2015, my wife's Alzheimer's Disease was starting to become more challenging, although not diagnosed for another year. She was capable of looking after him and he gave her company and joy when I was out. Later that changed when she became convinced that an evil man was going to steal him.

Cuddling Knight got me through some bad times when my wife was still at home. Covid and other things stopped her seeing him for 2 years, but when they met again it was as if they had been apart 2 minutes. I learned so much from him about patience, loyalty, genuine affection and living for today. This is how I'll always think of our beautiful boy.

Tynemouth October 2021 (7a).jpg

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I am so sorry to hear about Knight, they are such lovely dogs. I made the decision about my Chancey just before Easter and still miss her big presence. Thankfully I still have my whippet lurcher for companionship.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to hear about Knight. I knew he was poorly and you were worried about him, but it all seems (at least from here) to have happened quickly.
I loved hearing about him and seeing the photos
xx

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Such a handsome boy. Run free over the fields now Knight no more pain.
Sending a virtual ((hug)) @northumbrian_k We pet owners know how painful & sad this is for you x

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
Sorry to hear that Knight has gone over the bridge. I know how much I treasure my doggy companion now that my partner is in full time care. They bring us such comfort and joy. Thinking of you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp