Alcohol dependence.

Dustandbluebells

Oct 8, 2018
Hi there, I've just joined the group in the hope that someone can help, give advice.
My mother in law was diagnosed with Alzhiemers 3 years ago aged 76.
She used to like the odd glass of wine, but within the last year things have got really bad. She is now alcohol.dependent. She always has to have 2 bottles in the house, and she is still able to go and buy her own bottles. If you remove the bottles she will go and buy more. Sometimes she is in bed by 5pm as she's had too much. She has company everyday until 3pm, and company every evening for an hour or 2, but she has now had a couple of falls but says she doesn't remember why she fell or admit to it being the alcohol that caused it. My partner thinks she just drinks to forget, but can dementia sufferers also become obsessed with things? Whether it's cake, chocolate, things or alcohol. Also any tips on how to stop this? She has been assessed and the health care professionals do not think she is ready for a home yet, but no one can be with her 24/7. Does anyone have any tips or how to manage or get her to give up the drink? P.s she is fussy with the wine
. Non alcohol has been tried she doesn'the like it. It's been watered down.. she doesn't like. Shes been given half a bottle a day.. she just goes and buys more.. thanks for reading if you.got this far.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @Dustandbluebells, welcome to Talking Point. There have been one or two threads in the past about the problems caused with alcohol and dementia. Certainly, I find that my husband’s symptoms are worse after alcohol. It’s a horrible problem, particularly hard to deal with when the person with dementia is living independently.
I am sure that some of our members who have experience with this will give you some ideas to try.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Welcome to TP @Dustandbluebells. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

As has been said, this topic has been discussed before but you seem to have tried all the usual solutions already.

I have major problems with my wife if she over indulges as that combined with her meds seem to make her dementia much worse. I’m lucky insofar as I’m always with her and I’m able to keep strict control of her alcohol intake and just put up with the resultant evil looks.

I know there is a medication that can make people ill if they drink that is sometimes given to recovering alcoholics if they can’t control the problem. Maybe it would be worth running that past the GP if this is a major issue that is now injurious to health and safety.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Dustandbluebells

Oct 8, 2018
Thank you for your replies. I'll have a proper read later on today. I will.also.search this site as well for the previous chats about this issue. Thanks once again.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Sometimes you just have to let the worst happen to trigger off the necessary action. There is no easy solution to her problem but if she is having falls that will be the final arbiter

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife went through a wanting to drink phase in the early stages, I just filled up empty wine bottle with red or white grape juice and if she said it tasted odd I'd just tell her mine was fine, mainly because of me having a splash of vodka in mine.
K

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My wife went through a wanting to drink phase in the early stages, I just filled up empty wine bottle with red or white grape juice and if she said it tasted odd I'd just tell her mine was fine, mainly because of me having a splash of vodka in mine.
K

Crafty and why not.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
I don't know how you can control your mum buying the wine and drinking it when she is alone. If others are there, could they dilute it with red grape juice? Mum went through a stage of drinking too much and then becoming argumentative and occasionally suicidal. It was really unpleasant and life was very difficult for my dad. I'm not sure whether Mum just forgot she had already had a drink, or maybe she enjoyed a sense of release it gave her. Then, like Kevini, Dad started bringing her 'wine' to her, having poured red grape juice into her wine glass. She never questioned it and actually enjoyed it, maybe as she had developed such a sweet tooth. So they could both 'enjoy a glass of wine or two' together every evening. I hope you find a way to help your mum in law.

Squishychickfi

Aug 17, 2018
I am struggling too. My mum is tiny and keeps forgetting she has had a glass of wine. 4 glasses later she is argumentative and aggressive. She tries to leave home, sulks, the lot. I hate this bit. Sorry about your problems, but really appreciative that this is not unusual. Only just in the process of getting diagnosis and I live 2 hours away.