Does anybody know the consequences..?

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks Canary I will I had one valuation done and she was kind of Oooh I'll call it £52.. SS have told me to get another done as well but I thought they were supposed to do their own. I was going see a finance advisor but at the moment with out the results of mums means test its all speculation. My main concern at this point is the clocks ticking mums in a nursing home since Friday and I'm sure the 12 weeks disregard as probably started. But seeing as know one in authority tells me anything I just keep sitting on it all. DWP are going interview me next week to be mums appointee. Not even sure I'll be able open a bank account with out the cop. Unless I can do it online ?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Just sit tight. You cant be expected to pay anything until you know how much you have to contribute. I know that the person doing the means testing put the wind up you, but you are not liable for her debts, just administering them.
You can start the ball rolling with applying for CoP deputyship as it does take a while., although I believe that you can request fast-tracking and in view of the low value of her assets you might be eligible for discounted fees.

I had one valuation done and she was kind of Oooh I'll call it £52.. SS have told me to get another done as well but I thought they were supposed to do their own.
Not in my area they dont. I got 3 valuations and used the 2 lowest ones.

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
I admit i don't know much about disregards but if you are paying the mortgage at the moment and have lived their all you life you must have case?
I agree with those who say don't move out. Perhaps speak to the CAB.

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
So many people have said I should have a case that its convinced me to question their decision even tho right now the results of the means test are still being processed so I have no figures to work with. Even if I seek financial advise its pointless until I know the outcome of the means test. You would think that being mums carer for years and it being my only home since child hood it may sway them. On top of which there's very little equity in the place for deferred payments.. But its the council they probably want every penny they can scrape back. It just leaves me with a big decision which I will have to make soon . Go ahead with there plans get the cop and make myself homeless down the line when I have to sell it. Or walk and say do it your selves.

I'm meeting a guy from DWP next week to discuss me becoming mums appointee. Does any one have experience of this? Can you open an online account for the pension go into? If not then I won't be able open an account as they all want poa or cop on the high st..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
No, being the DWP appointee wont enable you to open a bank account for your mum, to do that you would need POA or CoP. All it does is enable you to talk to the DWP about her state pension and benefits (Attendance Allowance etc) and to claim any benefit in her name.

Just because you have CoP deputyship doesnt necessarily mean that you have to sell the house - it just means that you will have access to your mums finances, and open bank accounts.

I cant work out from what you say what the means testing is about. Did you have to supply things like bank account statements, house valuation, pension statements, bills etc so that they would be working out how much you would have to pay towards the care home fees? Or is this something that is yet to come and that person was working out whether you/your mum were eligible for any further benefits (which is what I had assumed)?

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Hi Canary

Yes that's correct the means test was supplying proof of mums savings pensions and so on which afterwards she gave me an ' illustration ' of how it may break down. Then told me they will now take a few months to work out the paperwork which I assume is to come up with the proper arrangement.
It say on the governments website to open a bank account in your own name when you become the appointee. So I plan on doing that online and have the pension paid into there. In the mean time it can continue going into the post office and I'll have to just draw it out and keep the receipts if I need to.

sarahsea

Dec 19, 2017
So sorry to hear of your predicament CrestFallen. I just wanted to comment on the DWP. My father in law is in a care home funded by the local authority and about 18 months ago I noticed that his bank balance had fallen to around £50 as his pension hadn't been paid for months. The DWP refused to talk to me unless I became his appointee. A representative came out to the care home within 2 weeks and we signed the papers. The pension was paid within days. As I understand it, being his appointee means that they will let me speak to them on his behalf, I don't do anything else.
Before becoming his appointee I contacted the DWP to tell them that he was in a care home as I was aware that his Attendance Allowance should be stopped. Unfortunately I rang them 4 days too late ( I think there was a 28 day limit?) and they imposed a £50 penalty on him which I thought was outrageous. He's only allowed to keep about £30 a week "pocket money" from his pension, the rest goes to the care home. I asked for the penalty to be reconsidered, but also contacted my local MP (something I'd never done before). I got a response from the MP's office in a couple of days to say that the penalty charge had been withdrawn. I think it's worth involving your local MP.
I hope that your situation becomes clearer and you mange to resolve these issues, it's such a stressful time for you.

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks for your input but I've been told by the ss that I will have to ensure mums pension contributions to the nursing home are paid out of her income. So was told I should make myself her appointee and open a bank account once I've done that to have it paid into and kept separate from my own accounts. Hence me planning on opening her an account online in my name as it says on the government website to open one in my own name once I've been made her appointee.