HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
I suddenly find myself in abject misery. I have been looking after OH (unmarried but together many years) full time but with carers giving me one night off. Suddenly the excellent carer left, and the agency let me down. What had been a smooth rolling programme stopped suddenly (we are self paying) and OH developed symptoms of a UTI. His dementia became markedly worse and antibiotics were given blind but his behaviour of ranting and raving continued albeit intermittently. The GP doesn’t engage and accessing SS has been difficult although I am in the system but awaiting assessments. Most of the time I just want advice or to talk to someone. I have asked about the urine samples but they say no growth. He has a catheter which doesn’t help.

Two days ago after a long period of ranting I left the room and went to bed at 6pm. I could hear him wandering about but then he came up and said I’m in trouble, I’ve called the police. Apparently he had “seen me being bundled into a white van in the street and being driven away”. I checked his phone and he had dialled 999 and 111 several times. Both paramedics and police arrived and they both talked to me separately. He couldn’t remember anything clearly but he hosts with people like this. The paramedic said he and I could go to A and E now and be seen by the duty psychiatrist and assessed. It was now 1000 at night and as he had settled I said I would get an appointment with the GP in the morning. We went to bed and I gave 1mg of Lorazepam and he was fine for an hour but then hallucinated for four hours solid which worried and frightened me as he had acted out one hallucination. I thought I might have made a mistake in not going to A and E but they told me to call 999 if I was worried. I spoke to the duty doctor and he sent paramedics again. I had got us both dressed and gathered together spare clothes and his medical file. This time the paramedic said why are you calling us? I handed her the advice from the first team and she said that will never happen you will be sent home; It’s the GP and social services who engineer assessments. I was utterly confused, overwrought and broke down. She said you have acopia? so if you want him to go to AandE he has to go on his own. I was horrified at the thought, as he’s never left alone, but so distraught I just nodded when she pressed for a decision. She said let the hospital deal with this and you take a break from it, ie stay away. OH got into the ambulance and that’s the last I saw of him. Ok we were struggling but I was organising more care (it all takes so long) so that we could continue to live in his home together and I could get breaks in place to allow this. I am now totally at sea and I don’t know what to do because I seem to have put us in a situation where I am excluded and I don’t know what the implications are, He has been in this hospital several times in the last year and my name is on their system as partner carer. I did ring without saying who I was and know the ward he is on which also stresses me. I asked his nephew to visit who said he was ok. The receptionist would not divulge any information but said he mentioned my name quite a bit. This has happened so quickly I am in shock. I have gone from managing everything to being excluded in a space of 24 hours. Does anyone have experience of this? Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is awful for you and `abject misery` is a term many of us will be able to identify with.

My husband had a community psychiatric nurse who helped me manage and monitor his behaviour and who was on call in times of difficulty. But then we were married, I was next of kin and had POA.

I can only suggest you phone the Helpline.

National Dementia Helpline

0300 222 11 22

Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm

Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm

Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

I remember during a really difficult time I phoned the Helpline from the street pretending to my husband I was going to the shops. There was no way I could have phoned from the house while he was there. I'm just telling you this as a suggestion, if its difficult for you to make a private phone call

Last edited:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh, Platinum I feel for you. My OH, (we aren’t married either but I have power of attorney) is stable at minute but when bad I had issues with GPS etc refusing to recognise me as partner hence POa. Might be too late for you to apply if you’ve not got one as your partner has to sign and agree to it. Can only wish you well..

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You're only excluding yourself if you stay away now. They will never divulge info over the phone so go in and demand to speak to the doctors.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
Oh, Platinum I feel for you. My OH, (we aren’t married either but I have power of attorney) is stable at minute but when bad I had issues with GPS etc refusing to recognise me as partner hence POa. Might be too late for you to apply if you’ve not got one as your partner has to sign and agree to it. Can only wish you well..
Sorry I do have registered EPOA (old enduring) and he has been in this hospital several times for UTIs and catheter problems and they have accepted me as partner and carer. It is not an LPA. I have phoned the Alzheimer’s helpline and they explained that if they assess his needs whether it be carers at home or a secure unit he will be self paying as we are above the threshold and a deferred payment will be made on the house if we get that far. They sort the package but do I have to accept? I have to give my private carers 7 days notice so if the hospital said take him out and sort out respite with SS and GP I wouldn’t have any help at home and he has to come with me if I go out anywhere. I don’t feel like this is a break because it’s not “official”. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don’t. I know the ward he is on is busy and the last time he was in there I went with clean clothes every day. They stuffed badly soiled clothes in with clean and he came out with a bedsore. He now has a catheter and a UTI could be present. None of this will help his dementia. I have lost all confidence and am fearful for the future. He made one phone call and within 24 hours I am catapaulted into the unknown. I know this filthy disease progresses but I think I can control it by keeping everything tidy and him well dressed. It’s naive. I think I will phone the hospital social worker tomorrow and ask for advice and the ward to see when the doctors are going round but nothing ever happens quickly. They will need me sooner or later as I handle the finances. I have to remember he is in there because I can’t cope, it’s the unknown I can’t cope with. Incidentally the GPS are not hands on at all but they will talk to me. I had to obtain a catheter specimen in the surgery toilet because the nurses didn’t do it....
Everyone keeps saying ?UTI but the cultures are negative. Fancy wishing someone has an infection rather than the progression of dementia.
Thank you for all the replies, I am grateful.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
You're only excluding yourself if you stay away now. They will never divulge info over the phone so go in and demand to speak to the doctors.
That’s the point, I’m effectively having a break, that’s why he’s there. This is a forced route to get someone assessed as it should go through local SS and GPS. But how long is a break? I agree with your advice Beate because I always did that in the past. But this is different and, as if you couldn’t guess, I am not enjoying my “break”! I think tomorrow I have to do something .....

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
What a nightmare for you. I wonder if it might be a good idea to go into the hospital to see him, if you are feeling strong enough. It might be that with hindsight you would have acted differently, but what you have to deal with is the here and now. I don’t suppose you will find out any plans for his care today, but at least you can set your mind at rest by seeing him.
I can completely identify with your feelings of wanting to ‘control’ the situation by him being clean and tidy. I have done the same...but there comes a point when I had to admit the dementia was getting too much for me to cope with and I needed help. For us, it has ended with a care home...but when we spend time together now, it is good. I’m not overtired, and we are able to spend most of the week together. I use the care home to revise night care for most of the week, and for somewhere safe and caring for my husband, while I am at WI or choir or music.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Sorry, we cross posted. He is safe and being looked after where he is...so take as much time as you need. Maybe you could use the time to really think through how you would like to have the future managed

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
Sorry, we cross posted. He is safe and being looked after where he is...so take as much time as you need. Maybe you could use the time to really think through how you would like to have the future managed
Your advice is welcomed and I know you are right. I’m a bit sleep deprived and I have a whirring brain. I would like him back in his home with me and sufficient carers to allow me breaks. I’m wary if I do that and the arrangement breaks down early I will have made the wrong decision. Eventually like you the disease will dictate the need. I’m glad you have the balance right I hope I can achieve that too.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Your advice is welcomed and I know you are right. I’m a bit sleep deprived and I have a whirring brain. I would like him back in his home with me and sufficient carers to allow me breaks. I’m wary if I do that and the arrangement breaks down early I will have made the wrong decision. Eventually like you the disease will dictate the need. I’m glad you have the balance right I hope I can achieve that too.
Sweetheart, no decision is permanent, it's OK to try something and then say it's not working. A care home is more or less permanent but people have even been brought back home from them! The main problem about an arrangement breaking down is the amount of time and mucking about it takes to put it back on the rails again. That's why folk often go for the nursing home option - because it will stop all that stress time. warmest, Kindred.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
Sweetheart, no decision is permanent, it's OK to try something and then say it's not working. A care home is more or less permanent but people have even been brought back home from them! The main problem about an arrangement breaking down is the amount of time and mucking about it takes to put it back on the rails again. That's why folk often go for the nursing home option - because it will stop all that stress time. warmest, Kindred.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
Kindred you are so right. Getting anything in place is like treading in treacle. I expect we will end up with the care Home but I will probably try with carers one more time. Dementia dictates. The system is also difficult to navigate and the services are patchy.
but agonising about it causes inertia. Thank you for wise words.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
Sorry I seem to have pushed the wrong button higher up the thread..

I telephoned the ward on Sunday and was told OH was fit for medical discharge and was being treated for a UTI (wrong patient judging by what happened when I visited). I said what about assessments and she advised me to visit the next day to discuss with doctors. Before going I went to see a “nice” Residential Home and the manager is due to assess him in hospital for respite on discharge. The ward was chaotic. OH was sedated as he had been for a CT scan (why) and he had a heart monitor running (why) he was not taking antibiotics as previously informed but it was confirmed he was medically fit for discharge? He did recognise me but he was drowsy so I couldn’t assess his mood but he was lucid. They had struggled to change his pants, he had not shaved (4 days) and the bag I sent with him was untouched including a list of medication. I noticed on the Patient White Board he had a DoLS alongside his name but no falls although he had a largish abrasion on his foot and his little toe had been wrapped with micropore but no one knew anything about it. I spoke to two doctors and they said the CT scan was normal. When asked for the indication to do it they said his eyes became glassy??? And they had to sedate him to do it. I asked about his assessments and the Discharge Officer said they would be done today. I had to tell her his walking was poor and she ticked therapists and social worker assessment. I have said we are self paying but presumably at this stage the assessment is independent of financial means. Getting information was difficult but I am pressing on with getting him out although have lost confidence and it’s making me indecisive. If the manager of the care Home turns him down what is my position then? I have asked them to ring me today once the assessments have been done. Is this the way things should happen in hospital?
Advice gratefully received!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
In reply to your question, if the chosen care home feel they cannot meet his needs and so turn him down, you'll need to find an alternative care home. I don't know the full process from hospital to care home as although my mother is self-funding she skipped the hospital stage, but someonelse will soon be along to help with that. They can't discharge him until he has somewhere safe to go, but the hospital will inevitably want him out asap, as I'm sure you do too given the chaos you've described. Hopefully this care home will say yes so the transition will be relatively smooth.

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
I don’t know how people without a “navigator” manage in today’s health service, especially PWD. Being told he was medically fit for discharge astounded me as he was sedated, running a heart monitor and clearly couldn’t stand. But they just mean their work is done, but they dont explain this. As you say the social worker pitched up and her assessment dictated the terms of his discharge. The manager of the residential home has accepted him long term (I know now he can’t be managed at home) and he is being transferred by ambulance this morning. This is because he’s resistant but the home has 24 hour nursing and are confident he will settle. If this placement proves to be too difficult they will not expect me to take him back but will arrange more appropriate care.
But hope springs eternal. I’m now going to be involved fully in a different type of care. Thanks for all the advice. I can see my posts have provided a bit of a blog.....
Thank you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hopefully things will be better all round now. You have made the right decision. It will take time for you both to come to terms with the new situation, so dont feel too badly about it. xx