help from the alzheimers society.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes they say someone will contact me and nothing. Yes checked my spam box nothing there.

Move up the food chain to National Helpline: 0300 222 1122

If (unlikely) no success complain to 0330 333 0804.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The problem (for me) is that I don't like to complain about a charity, the AZ Society, Admiral Nurses, Citizens' Advice, AGE UK and all the rest are funded by public donations and use volunteers for a lot of their work, if it was a statutory body like the NOS or SS then yes, they should be on the ball but charities are a different matter, they can only do what they can do with the funds and volunteers available to them.
I did speak to someone at the local AZ Society and they didn't do that much for me, it was more of a signpost to places where I could get actual physical help like the drop in centres and the dementia cafes in the area, the AZ Society do organise some things and I'm don't say they do nothing but a lot of what they did was point out where to get help and give me leaflets.
The help and advise they gave me was invaluable as it was local information which is what you need as what's available to me here in Salford I've come to realises is unusually good compared to what is available to many people on TP.
Just looking around it seems that AGEUK are well represented in your part of the world and organise meetings and meal clubs.
K

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
The problem (for me) is that I don't like to complain about a charity, the AZ Society, Admiral Nurses, Citizens' Advice, AGE UK and all the rest are funded by public donations and use volunteers for a lot of their work, if it was a statutory body like the NOS or SS then yes, they should be on the ball but charities are a different matter, they can only do what they can do with the funds and volunteers available to them.
I did speak to someone at the local AZ Society and they didn't do that much for me, it was more of a signpost to places where I could get actual physical help like the drop in centres and the dementia cafes in the area, the AZ Society do organise some things and I'm don't say they do nothing but a lot of what they did was point out where to get help and give me leaflets.
The help and advise they gave me was invaluable as it was local information which is what you need as what's available to me here in Salford I've come to realises is unusually good compared to what is available to many people on TP.
Just looking around it seems that AGEUK are well represented in your part of the world and organise meetings and meal clubs.
K

thank you , I'm house bound with mum and dad and here with them 16 hours a day so day clubs etc no good for me it's just trying to find some support at home , my dad been dianoised 6 yrs is unable to walk , talk etc nut the only person who pops in is the memory clinic once every six month thy stay 30 mins then go.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have they supported you much ?

The support I got was from an initial visit from an advisor who was able to supply me with sufficient local information regarding dementia related facilities.

Having read your later post I wonder if befriender visits would be of any use, they visit to have a chat, they don't do any personal care but may make cups of tea. It would allow you to have some 'me time' including getting out of the house if you want to.

Try a Google on shewsbury befriender to see what is available in your area.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I found the local AS office very helpful when things were getting difficult and challenging looking after my dad and I was having a crisis. I was assigned a home support worker who was a qualified and experienced mental health nurse. She visited every 3 weeks or so during that period and was very responsive to any emails or phone calls usually contacting me within 24 hours. She brought a lot of information for me to keep. I was put in contact with their day care centre and dad was assessed...we tried 3 sessions but unfortunately dad was too agitated for it to work for them or for dad. Maybe it depends on individual branches but I 2as very grateful for their help as I hadn't found this forum at that time.

Primrose19

Nov 27, 2016
I phoned the local and national numbers a few times and people on both very helpful and sympathetic.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
its been so difficult i even made a complaint then was told someone would contact me and still nothing.
If the helpline are not able to help with your queries, concerns etc is the local AS office close enough that you could pop in to talk to someone face to face.