Tiredness and Frustration

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
I think I’m reaching the end of my tether, poor mums sleep has gone completely she’s up and down like a yo-yo all night, up to 4 times an hour and of course due to the risk of falls either I or dad has to be in call via the pressure mat to help. This means we get sleep only every other night, luckily help is due soon on 2 week nights that should help. Problem is I work and as dad is going on a much deserved break soon I face the prospect of 4 nights in a row of no sleep (in between the 2 week nights with outside help)and then again a pattern of night on, night off until he’s back. I simply don’t feel I can cope and am already anxious about it. I’m going to have to raise the prospect of respite care for some of the time as I know I won’t cope but don’t know how that will go. I have sisters but as they’ve families they can’t help, I feel bad but know better than to simply go along and try coz I know I will crash.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
See your GP about sleeping pills ASAP. It’s the only answer when things are this bad. Don’t take no for an answer.

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
Unfortunately they’re a no no, mum reacted v badly to them at the start of the year due to her other meds for respiratory conditions so awaiting the memory re referral at present to see if they can offer help. Sleep deprivation sucks!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I wonder if meds for anxiety might work. My wife takes meds for depression and anxiety as well as her Alzheimer's meds and these help her sleep.

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
That’s an idea, thanks! I had a friend who suggested melatonin but I’m not sure if that would work as mum does initially sleep for about half an hour but then is up. I’ve noticed a big increase in her movement when she’s sleeping too so anxiety meds may help calm, I’ll ask at the memory clinic we just got the next appointment at the start of October. The GP isn’t willing to prescribe for mum think he feels out of his depth as he said he wanted them to assess due to the different meds she already takes!

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Unfortunately they’re a no no, mum reacted v badly to them at the start of the year due to her other meds for respiratory conditions so awaiting the memory re referral at present to see if they can offer help. Sleep deprivation sucks!
I have to agree with you; mum, who is end stage, had a dreadful reaction to sleeping pills - and they were a low dose. They almost killed her and great care, together with a thorough knowledge of co-morbidities, are essential. It is a fact that sleeping pills prescribed to dementia patients can cause catastropic results. I hope you soon get the help you desperately need. xxx