Care Home Dilemma

marks

Sep 4, 2018
Good evening everybody,

First post and I'm looking for a bit of feedback please. My Mum is 80 and is in the latter stages of dementia. I gave up work and my life to look after her at her home for three years when the rest of my family couldn't be bothered. They didn't want me to do it (long story based on family politics) but wouldn't do it themselves. I don't have to tell anybody here but it was the toughest thing I have ever done, or ever will. Despite that, I took it hard when Mum had to go into a home. I was on my knees.

Initially the home was okay, I supported them in their promotions, fayres, etc., and saw my Mum nearly every day. The more I saw, the more I discovered. She was left in a bed of urine crying, she was unwashed for days, her underwear was filthy, etc.

I complained to her social worker and tried to bring the care home management to task. I worked with them for months. They'd asked me not to take her out while her meds were changed and so for two months Mum saw nothing but her room walls. Still, despite all the promises, Mum was unclean and distressed.

She was attacked by another resident.

I want to move her to another home.

Social services have just visited saying it's a good place, they are going to improve, meet them and negotiate a middle ground. Except I have lost faith in the care home management. A lot of lies have been spread about me during the course of my official complaint. How do I leave Mum in their care when they have already failed before?

Social Services have said the home could be worse, why don't you give it a month and see etc. I feel they are settling. That to them Mum is just another 'little old lady'. they even said to me assaults and uncleanliness and staff shortages will happen. It's just care homes.

I would have to go to the Court of Protection. I am prepared but am I being selfish? Let me know what you think.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Good evening everybody,

First post and I'm looking for a bit of feedback please. My Mum is 80 and is in the latter stages of dementia. I gave up work and my life to look after her at her home for three years when the rest of my family couldn't be bothered. They didn't want me to do it (long story based on family politics) but wouldn't do it themselves. I don't have to tell anybody here but it was the toughest thing I have ever done, or ever will. Despite that, I took it hard when Mum had to go into a home. I was on my knees.

Initially the home was okay, I supported them in their promotions, fayres, etc., and saw my Mum nearly every day. The more I saw, the more I discovered. She was left in a bed of urine crying, she was unwashed for days, her underwear was filthy, etc.

I complained to her social worker and tried to bring the care home management to task. I worked with them for months. They'd asked me not to take her out while her meds were changed and so for two months Mum saw nothing but her room walls. Still, despite all the promises, Mum was unclean and distressed.

She was attacked by another resident.

I want to move her to another home.

Social services have just visited saying it's a good place, they are going to improve, meet them and negotiate a middle ground. Except I have lost faith in the care home management. A lot of lies have been spread about me during the course of my official complaint. How do I leave Mum in their care when they have already failed before?

Social Services have said the home could be worse, why don't you give it a month and see etc. I feel they are settling. That to them Mum is just another 'little old lady'. they even said to me assaults and uncleanliness and staff shortages will happen. It's just care homes.

I would have to go to the Court of Protection. I am prepared but am I being selfish? Let me know what you think.

Hi, sorry to read about the poor care your dear Mum has received.
I like you would not accept this. Whilst not the same my Mum was not getting reliable care from an agency. I just could not stand by and let it happen. I did the same as you feedback to them, met with them, gave them time to rectify but to no avail.
I was at a loss, I spoke to the council who spoke with the agency, no change. The council told me I could change agencies but they were much of a muchness. I felt they was no great desire to resolve. I then wrote to the head of the local council. It made a difference. The matter was passed to director of services and head of homecare. The head of home care was quite offended when I explained the much of a muchness. We now have a new agency, early days but I was listened to. The original agency have now withdrawn services from the council.
I know it’s not the same as a home, but if council are funding it’s worth reaching out to head of council. I got email address and details online. Money is important to councils so I focused on money not being spent wisely.
In the event you are privately funding check with Alzheimer’s society for help, local carer centre, age uk or Admiral nurse. My friend has used the society and found them so helpful. You can also speak with cqc.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

marks

Sep 4, 2018
One of the things I omitted was that I have lodged a complaint with the care home's office as well as the cqc. I had all the emails to Social Services, a second witness, etc. The District Director of the care home company wants to meet to negotiate before Friday. Coincidently that is the day they are supposed to deliver their report on my complaint. I don't expect anything more than a whitewash but they know I would esculate it so their report would be shown up.

I am expecting to be asked to bury my complaint and I am supposed to be grateful about this (according to Social Services)? Perhaps it's just me. Is it?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
One of the things I omitted was that I have lodged a complaint with the care home's office as well as the cqc. I had all the emails to Social Services, a second witness, etc. The District Director of the care home company wants to meet to negotiate before Friday. Coincidently that is the day they are supposed to deliver their report on my complaint. I don't expect anything more than a whitewash but they know I would esculate it so their report would be shown up.

I am expecting to be asked to bury my complaint and I am supposed to be grateful about this (according to Social Services)? Perhaps it's just me. Is it?
No, @marks, it doesn't sound to me as if it is just you. If my mum had this treatment I would be both angry and upset, and I'd be complaining just as you are.
I wish you every good luck in getting your mum the care she needs and deserves, whether in the current home of in another one.
Chin up!
Lindy xx