Mum on diabetes med - metformin ...

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Mum was put on Metformin today as her diabetes has gone into the red zone - not good. However, she lost 4lb in a month! How the hell she did that I do not know as she is eating for Great Britain every single day! Is that weight loss something to worry about considering she has definitely NOT tried to lose weight?
Also, they have warned that this drug might make her stomach very upset (please God, no!). She is on Risperidone for bvtFTD, so my question is, is anyone else on these 2 drugs at the same time and if so, how did you feel on it?
Thank you.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi @Cazzita . Unfortunately Metformin can cause stomach upsets which often settle down in a week or two. they usually start a person on a low dose and gradually build up to the full dose to lessen the side effects. Their is a slow release version that some people tolerate better.
Their is a diabetes peer support forum that you may wish to view , I’ll send you details by pm .
Weight loss can happen if BG (blood glucose) is too high for any length of time, it’s because some of the fuel (glucose) needed to run our bodies can’t get into where it’s needed so it builds up in the blood, it’s like having a crowd banging at a locked door and no one has the key to open it, we do tend to stuff ourselves silly when this happens as our brain is telling us we need food (fuel)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
When I was put on Metformin I was told not to worry about any weight loss as it's normal with this drug.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Mum was put on Metformin today as her diabetes has gone into the red zone - not good. However, she lost 4lb in a month! How the hell she did that I do not know as she is eating for Great Britain every single day! Is that weight loss something to worry about considering she has definitely NOT tried to lose weight?
Also, they have warned that this drug might make her stomach very upset (please God, no!). She is on Risperidone for bvtFTD, so my question is, is anyone else on these 2 drugs at the same time and if so, how did you feel on it?
Thank you.

Dear Cazzita,

My dad's had diabetes type 2 for thirty-one years and he has been on metformin all that time. I can't remember him having stomach trouble but he does have a little bit of anaemia because of it.Therefore you should make sure that your mum has enough red meat to combat this.

MaNaAk

judyri

Mar 2, 2010
I have type 2 diabetes and was prescribed Metformin, resulting in a month of violent diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting ... not pretty. Then it was changed to Glucophage, which is the slow release form and a lot easier to tolerate. Don't let mum put up with stomach upsets for any length of time if it does occur - there are alternatives.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Dear Cazzita,

My dad's had diabetes type 2 for thirty-one years and he has been on metformin all that time. I can't remember him having stomach trouble but he does have a little bit of anaemia because of it.Therefore you should make sure that your mum has enough red meat to combat this.

MaNaAk
My dad's the same, he's been on Metformin for years, and no complaints. I guess it's a subjective thing and perhaps @Cazzita you might want to let your mum's doctor know this effect on her.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Thanks @Beate and others, wow, I didn't know that it could cause weight loss - what a bonus! Now how can I lose some weight... :)
So far so good with mum on these tablets so fingers crossed .
How long did it take to have any side effects if they they did happen?
Thanks

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thanks @Beate and others, wow, I didn't know that it could cause weight loss - what a bonus! Now how can I lose some weight... :)
So far so good with mum on these tablets so fingers crossed .
How long did it take to have any side effects if they they did happen?
Thanks

Dear Cazzita,

My dad was found to be slightly anaemic 29 years after diagnosis after the blood test which dad had prior to being diagnosed with Alzheimers. We were pleased about this because eventhough I thought dad might have dementia I felt that at last we were getting some help to keep his brain as healthy as possible.

MaNaAk

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Thank you.
I can't give you any personal feelings, but my dad is on both of these meds. No contra indications for him, but as each person is different, it's worth keeping a beady eye on things over the next couple of weeks.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
I hope it all goes well for your mum. My mum has been on different medications for her diabetes for a long time prior to many years of insulin injections together with 30 different tablets a day at one point. Any weight loss was short lived and she is a 4'11" and 13 stone lady.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Right @Angela57, my mum is also tiny - about 5ft 1 and nearly 14 stone so I hope she loses a little more. Funny thing is, her appetite has definitely lessened and she has left most of her dinner the last 2 days, most unusual. She is also much more tired and sleeping more during the daytime. Wonder if they are side effects too.
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, we want out loved ones to be a healthy as they possibly can be under these circumstances, so whatever works. Take care people and thanks again :)

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Right @Angela57, my mum is also tiny - about 5ft 1 and nearly 14 stone so I hope she loses a little more. Funny thing is, her appetite has definitely lessened and she has left most of her dinner the last 2 days, most unusual. She is also much more tired and sleeping more during the daytime. Wonder if they are side effects too.
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, we want out loved ones to be a healthy as they possibly can be under these circumstances, so whatever works. Take care people and thanks again :)
I would get her GP involved, just to be sure that her blood levels and all other levels are okay. My mum had days with the same symptoms on and off, but had been suffering from diabetes for years prior to dementia, it's always best to get medical advice, so that would probably be best. I wish you and your mum well.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I would get her GP involved, just to be sure that her blood levels and all other levels are okay. My mum had days with the same symptoms on and off, but had been suffering from diabetes for years prior to dementia, it's always best to get medical advice, so that would probably be best. I wish you and your mum well.
Thank you. All bloods okay so that;s good, Mum is declining though, so sad :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp