My lack of finances if partner goes into care

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Selinacroft, no I had not thought about that, and it is definitely worth looking at for the future. If possible it could provide caring for Richard at home before of even if he needed to go into RH. As 24/7 care in the home is more expensive than a RH I don't know whether the social services would sanction this cost. Thanks for giving me this idea to look at I had never thought of it.
SS wont pay for full time care at home, Im afraid. The maximum they will pay for is carers 3 or 4 times a day. They would also pay for day care, but not for anything during the night.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Sorry If I didn't make that clear, hopefully four visits a day could buy you a lot more time coping at home with the extra pension , AA iand CA income before full residential becomes necessary.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
SS wont pay for full time care at home, Im afraid. The maximum they will pay for is carers 3 or 4 times a day. They would also pay for day care, but not for anything during the night.

That isn't strictly true, @canary as my mother was funded for 3 nights' waking care a week when she was very distressed and crying out at night. I did have to stay with her the other nights and at that time I was coping with not much help in the day - just a couple of visits a week. However, the sleepless nights were the hardest to deal with.

Later, she became more settled at nights, less mobile and finally bed bound and we had carer visits 4 times a day then for personal care, hoisting, etc. This was just about manageable. By being turned four times a day she also didn't have serious bed sores. I didn't realise this was important at first (neither did the care agency!) and she developed a sacral pressure sore. We had frequent visits from the district nurses and it gradually got better.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That isn't strictly true, @canary as my mother was funded for 3 nights' waking care a week when she was very distressed and crying out at night.
Sorry, yes, I forgot that they would do this in an emergency and on a short-term basis. They did this for my MIL when she came back from hospital.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
It wasn't that short term - we had night carers for about 6 months. My mother was in pain (and had been for some years beforehand) but with her dementia she lost all her resilience to it. It was a very harrowing time. I think maybe once she had an airflow mattress and hospital bed it helped or her condition changed and she slept through the night better. I was still administering morphine to her and applying Fentanyl patches for the subsequent three years - I don't know how she went on so long with such strong painkillers.

I suppose the point is that, if the person's condition is extreme, you will get social services funding (up to a point) to help with the situation. In the last two years, she had CHC funding but this didn't affect the amount of help we got - she had the maximum of 4 double (2 carers) half-hour visits per day.

I think @padmag should keep in mind that care at home is possible and you don't know how the illness will progress. Hopefully, padmag's partner will not experience any behavioural or mobility problems and the question won't arise. My mother's combination of symptoms (chronic pain and Alzheimer's) was unique.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
It wasn't that short term - we had night carers for about 6 months. My mother was in pain (and had been for some years beforehand) but with her dementia she lost all her resilience to it. It was a very harrowing time. I think maybe once she had an airflow mattress and hospital bed it helped or her condition changed and she slept through the night better. I was still administering morphine to her and applying Fentanyl patches for the subsequent three years - I don't know how she went on so long with such strong painkillers.

I suppose the point is that, if the person's condition is extreme, you will get social services funding (up to a point) to help with the situation. In the last two years, she had CHC funding but this didn't affect the amount of help we got - she had the maximum of 4 double (2 carers) half-hour visits per day.

I think @padmag should keep in mind that care at home is possible and you don't know how the illness will progress. Hopefully, padmag's partner will not experience any behavioural or mobility problems and the question won't arise. My mother's combination of symptoms (chronic pain and Alzheimer's) was unique.
Know it's a bit late but thanks all for delving into this for me, the best help available thank goodness for TP!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Glad to give you an idea that help at home can be available meaning the person needn't necessarily go into care. Depending on your finances, you may have to pay a contribution towards said care (based on your partner's income and assets) but your house doesn't come into the equation as that idea was scrapped. It's only with residential care that that is the case, but not if spouse, a person over 60 or disabled person is still living there.

It all depends on how your partner is. Let's hope you have many years ahead when you don't need that help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell