Toilet troubles

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
Good evening this is my 1st post as I have felt as though I have been coping but it is getting difficult! I was wondering if anyone had any experiences similar : my husband has totally lost the procedures for using the toilet and cannot remember what to do I have tried writing it down but he cannot follow it I have also got a picture board used for children toilet training but only thing that works is actually taking him and talking step by step through it every time (through the night too) has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Welcome to TP.

You've found the solution - go in there with him and help. You won't be able to train him or advise from the other side of the bathroom door, I'm afraid. Once a skill is lost, it doesn't normally come back. It's hard, I know.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Good evening this is my 1st post as I have felt as though I have been coping but it is getting difficult! I was wondering if anyone had any experiences similar : my husband has totally lost the procedures for using the toilet and cannot remember what to do I have tried writing it down but he cannot follow it I have also got a picture board used for children toilet training but only thing that works is actually taking him and talking step by step through it every time (through the night too) has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Thanks
I have the same recent problem, I have to go to the loo with Richard and go through the actions with him of how to do a wee which he sort of copies. Sometimes he just stands there and does nothing other times he does actually do a wee. I find keeping on top of this the hardest and most draining. He is more or less trained in doing a poo straight after morning bran and weetabix, (although I do have to help him pull his pants & trousers off) I know this is very explicit but it is the only way of describing it.
We had a funny incident the other day when the OT was doing an assessment - she asked him to show her how he sits on the toilet which he did (fully clothed) then he proceeded to make very loud trumping noises, to which she made a hasty retreat pushing me out of the way, poor woman you'd think she might have an inkling with an Alzheimers patient...... any way I had a good laugh and apologised.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
John wasn't too bad with sitting on the toilet and poos were fine but I remember having to tell him to tuck himself in every time or he would pee outwards! It was such an automatic request, even the morning carer started to say it to him if I wasn't around. I can laugh about it now!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @arrowsmith2kuk, your post caught my eye as I have just started having to help my husband. It took me a week or two to realise what was needed, then yesterday he peed spectacularly everywhere while trying to hold his trousers up.
I don’t think written or pictorial instructions will help, but I’m considering trying a change of clothes. I don’t at all want to, as my husband has always been a very smart, and conservative, dresser. But, I think if we try track suit style trousers that will pull down slightly, but not fall down it might help.
I’ve just remembered though, that you said this is happening st night too. I asked the carer yesterday whether it would be better to get my husband to sit down to pee, or help him while he was standing. She thought that long years of habit would mean he would prefer to stand.
I don’t suppose this has been much help, but I truly sympathise with you, being disturbed every night. Would it help at all if your husband slept with no PJ bottoms on? Is is the clothes being in the way that is muddling him?

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
Hi thank you for your reply my husband has been sitting down to pre g
For a while now as he has parkinsons too and finds it difficult to stand, it 8s doo much easier though he does have to remember to tick it in or not sprays ha! I have tried different trousers but he dislikes them so much says they are like pj's

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
I have the same recent problem, I have to go to the loo with Richard and go through the actions with him of how to do a wee which he sort of copies. Sometimes he just stands there and does nothing other times he does actually do a wee. I find keeping on top of this the hardest and most draining. He is more or less trained in doing a poo straight after morning bran and weetabix, (although I do have to help him pull his pants & trousers off) I know this is very explicit but it is the only way of describing it.
We had a funny incident the other day when the OT was doing an assessment - she asked him to show her how he sits on the toilet which he did (fully clothed) then he proceeded to make very loud trumping noises, to which she made a hasty retreat pushing me out of the way, poor woman you'd think she might have an inkling with an Alzheimers patient...... any way I had a good laugh and apologised.
I think you do have to have a laugh or I would run away sometimes!

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
Hello, @arrowsmith2kuk, your post caught my eye as I have just started having to help my husband. It took me a week or two to realise what was needed, then yesterday he peed spectacularly everywhere while trying to hold his trousers up.
I don’t think written or pictorial instructions will help, but I’m considering trying a change of clothes. I don’t at all want to, as my husband has always been a very smart, and conservative, dresser. But, I think if we try track suit style trousers that will pull down slightly, but not fall down it might help.
I’ve just remembered though, that you said this is happening st night too. I asked the carer yesterday whether it would be better to get my husband to sit down to pee, or help him while he was standing. She thought that long years of habit would mean he would prefer to stand.
I don’t suppose this has been much help, but I truly sympathise with you, being disturbed every night. Would it help at all if your husband slept with no PJ bottoms on? Is is the clothes being in the way that is muddling him?

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
Hi sorry it's been so long in replying we've had a rather bad few weeks,he got a chest infection which knocked everything backwards and could barely do anything for himself, he has bounced back a bit, he has been sitting down on the loo for a while now and finds it easier due to his legs and balance being very unstable, the pictures didn't help at all just made it all worse I think so we are now back to taking him and talk8mg him through it

Hart

Mar 7, 2020
Hello arrowsmith. My husband had exactly the same problem. Have to help and talk him through whole process. Writing or signs havnt helped. Night time is the worst. Waking 2/3 times and waking me and wetting his clothes. I am exhausted. I dont think urinal will help nor commode as he cant comprehend how to use them. Going to try different coloured toilet seat. I'm not much help except to empathise and say you are not alone. Looking for bathroom flooring solution to stop the carpets getting wee on them. Any suggestions anyone?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Hart and welcome to DTP
Looking for bathroom flooring solution to stop the carpets getting wee on them.
Try using puppy training pads on the floor. I used to use them with a bit cut out on one side so that they fitted around the base of the toilet instead of a mat.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Hart welcome from me too.

I did as @canary and cut a puppy training pad to fit around the loo base and stuck it down with strips of double sided tape as my dad tended to shuffle. Later I had to hide the puppy pad under a pedestal mat as dad would just throw it away if he saw it. Extra washing but at least the carpet stayed drier.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Lino/Vinyl flooring for the bathroom and toilet.
Only sensible option. Warm touch ones are available, to prevent cold tootsie shock.

Bod

Hart

Mar 7, 2020
I agree this is the best option but my dad refused to get rid of the carpet.
Thank you all. I'll give the puppy pads a try I've thought about vinyl floor but the wee would just stand and spread on it so unless I'm there instantly to mop it up it will get walked from bathroom to hall etc

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Hi.. After going through everything mentioned.. Up every hour during the night and taking my OH to the loo 9 or 10 times during the day.. Finally totally exhausted I had a incontinence nurse call and talk us through sheath cathatars... Life changing.. Might be worth looking I to it xxxx