Cataracts and dementia - removal?

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Hi
In the space of a year, my mother has developed quite bad cataracts. We know this because I take her to yearly diabetic eye screens. We were told the waiting list for removal at the hospital is quite long.
On another point, she has become quite anaemic and the advice was to treat with iron tablets rather than undergo painful invasive tests (to find the source of a bleed) because she was deemed not well enough by the GP to go through that.
So back to the cataracts, do we put her through removal, when at that point she would have deteriorated further (she has mid stage mixed dementia)??

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've had cataracts removed from both eyes and it made a big difference to me. My mum who has macular degeneration had one removed from her 'good' eye. She could see slightly better, colours were brighter, but it didn't make a massive difference. Mum was in her late eighties, and probably had early dementia at the time. In both cases the operation was pretty straightforward and done under a local anaesthetic. The main thing to remember is that you need to put eye drops in three or four times a day for a few weeks. Would your mum be OK with that, they can sting a bit.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi
In the space of a year, my mother has developed quite bad cataracts. We know this because I take her to yearly diabetic eye screens. We were told the waiting list for removal at the hospital is quite long.
On another point, she has become quite anaemic and the advice was to treat with iron tablets rather than undergo painful invasive tests (to find the source of a bleed) because she was deemed not well enough by the GP to go through that.
So back to the cataracts, do we put her through removal, when at that point she would have deteriorated further (she has mid stage mixed dementia)??

Dear Morry,

Dad is having a pre-op assessment next month for his forthcoming operation and he is supposed to be having his cataracts removed by local anaesthetic and sedation. It was decided that this was the best option because he wouldn't be able to keep still for a local anaesthetic and a general anaesthetic would have side effects and make the dementia worse for a while. Good luck to your mum.

MaNaAk

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Hi all
Thanks for your advice. I will get her name on the waiting list then.
What I have found quite shocking is the way the GPs view my mother now that she has had her diagnosis. They have said things like 'she is not well enough to perhaps have that test' and it looks as if her care is more palliative these days.
I guess we will wait and see how she is come the time of the operation.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When I had cataract surgery I was told the two biggest risks were haemorrhaging and infection. In people in the later stages of dementia, I imagine infection may be difficult to prevent. The drops have to be administered accurately , the eye has to be covered when sleeping and its important the eye should not be rubbed.

Sorry to detail all the negatives. If your mother has the surgery @MorryLou and it`s successful it will bring light to her life.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The other negative is that if it is done under a local anesthetic you have to keep absolutely still for about 40 mins, which is not always easy for someone with advanced dementia - even with sedation (it can sometimes just make them more confused).

I think its important to discuss with the surgeon about how much sight she is likely to recover, compared with the risks.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother had 2 cataracts and could barely sit still for the visit with the consultant. He told me that he felt, since she was no longer reading or watching tv, that the surgery would minimally improve her quality of life. As for the after care, I knew for a fact she would get her eyes infected. My sister and I decided against it. I think we made the right decision for us.

I just had cataract surgery this June and I had to keep careful track of the various drops etc. And yes, one of the drops did sting quite a bit.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
My concern with someone at mid stage dementia would be the after care side, You need to remember eye drops (nurse or carer can do ) and more importantly not to rub them , especially if the anaesetic can temporarily worsen the dementia.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I think like others have said it is not necessarily the operation but the aftercare that may cause the problem. When Dad had his cataracts done (he didn't have dementia) he had to wear a pad over his eye (can't remember how long for, no bending down, eye drops that had to be put in at specific times, and most importantly no rubbing of the eye. Mum who is in hospital at the moment has had to have her arm bandaged because she won't stop scratching or rubbing the place where she has had blood taken from making it very sore.

I understand your feelings about doctors saying your mum isn't well enough to have tests, but from an outsiders point of view I can understand it. Best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77