Who to contact to begin proceedings to get husband into a care home

octopuss

Jun 25, 2018
It is time to really think about a care home for my husband.He has taken a nosedive in the last two months and has become unmanageable in lots of ways.Who do I contact first?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo Octopuss, sorry your husband is getting worse.
I'm not sure the full procedure involved, but it is usually best to contact Adult Social Services for a care needs review even if you have had one recently. They advise and help set up respite and day centres, so can explain what is involved and make the necessary assessments.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear your husband has reached this stage.

I wondered if this fact sheet might be helpful

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/help-dementia-care/care-homes-who-decides-when

I certainly think an updated assessment of your husband's care needs would be required. If he already has social work involvement I would contact them and ask for a review.

It might help to talk the options through with someone on the Helpline. Details of opening hours can be found here-

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...55.1769454811.1519233588-549088353.1488398070

The number is 0300 222 11 22

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
It is time to really think about a care home for my husband.He has taken a nosedive in the last two months and has become unmanageable in lots of ways.Who do I contact first?
Much depends on whether you will be self-funding. If so, then contact some care homes you like the look of, see what they advise and whether they would consider taking your husband. The self funding threshold is about twenty four thousand in savings.
warmest, Geraldine aka kindred.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Hi I'm so sorry you are in this situation but once the ball starts rolling it will get sorted ..
I have just been through this and I rang Adult Social Services and told them I cannot manage anymore and an assessment was made alongside looking at care homes for immediate respite .
If you need help with financial or not sure an assessment will be carried out after he is settled and you can just pay respite fees until that point .It may be troublesome because there is lots to think about but I'm sorry professionals need to take over.I wish you well xxx

Joyt

Jun 30, 2018
I’m in the same place and about to start my husbands first respite break. I fear full time care is not far off as I am now running on fumes. Like you though the mechanics of how to make the transition are not clear in my head.... but then I’m so tired and stressed nothing is.

MikeyRhos

Jul 8, 2018
Hi. What I will say, is work with adult social services. But and a big BUT, it is what YOU want for your husband, not what they "think" you want. It will be his new home, so don't just accept what they say. Go see the places, take a friend who knows you both so you get an unbiased view. Do not make an appointment just turn up on spec, you will see them as they work if you just turn up.Look at what is going on, when can you visit !!! The answer should be "at any time". Remember this will be his new home so you have to be comfortable. If you are paying or not, it is about care, not so much location. Ask questions, so make a list of questions before you go, as other people what they think you should ask eg, who will look after his feet and how often, do you have a visiting dentist / optician. Can I stay for tea / dinner / supper, do I have to pay ? I have worked in care so am aware of the difficulties and the many lies, sorry, misplaced untruths that homes may offer. for example Question: how often do you take the residents out. Answer from home "Oh at least once a week in the minibus, out for a walk every suitable day". the reality is, that they are probably minimally staffed so it never happens and the excuses build up quickly. This is not the floor staffs fault, but the management who retain the staffing levels. This is a generalisation. I hope this helps. Its honest.