What going on with the hospital

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Mum has AZ in hospital for a UTI.now clear.I go in today she hasn't been eating, but she did take soup so that's an improvement.I don't feel the staff encourage food if they refuse they don't even push .Whilst there the nurse comes in and states she refused meds in the morning,she didn't refuse me and took them .why don't these people once again encourage mum she has dementia DO THEY NOT KNOW.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Mum has AZ in hospital for a UTI.now clear.I go in today she hasn't been eating, but she did take soup so that's an improvement.I don't feel the staff encourage food if they refuse they don't even push .Whilst there the nurse comes in and states she refused meds in the morning,she didn't refuse me and took them .why don't these people once again encourage mum she has dementia DO THEY NOT KNOW.

I know it must be worrying for you but there is a problem quite often persuading people with dementia to take meds. My husband has glaucoma and has been resisting his eye drops for some time. I try all sorts of means and I know when he was in respite they did too but it’s just not always possible to Get him to cooperate.

Work with the staff if you can. If you become angry or short with them it won’t help.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
The staff can encourage, cajole, sweet talk but if the PWD refuses they can’t push or force. They can’t pop meds in the mouth and then push a PWD to drink. They would be disciplined and fired.
We, as carers can go further if we choose, but hospital staff cannot.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
A couple of weeks ago my mother was on a ward with four other dementia patients and they had two healthcare assistants caring for them all - they did a good job but they didn't have enough time to persuade them to drink and eat, and if the PWD refuses they just have to leave it. When we went in halfway through her stay, the HCAs were syringing water into her mouth to hydrate her because they said she wouldn't sip from a cup. I thought she had lost that capability which was quite alarming. We sat with her for half an hour and got her to drink two beakers of juice with no problem. I don't know why she wouldn't do it for the HCAs. But it was encouraging to see that they did know what was required and were doing their best, although it's never going to be the same as a familiar carer.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Hi - what a worry for you. Hopefully your mum will be on a food chart to monitor her intake - perhaps ask the ward sister if she is on such a chart. Additionally perhaps a referral to the hospital dietician and perhaps speech and language therapists to check on her swallowing. If swallowing is not a problem then maybe the "build up" type sipping drinks could be offered - lots of calories and your mum may enjoy them. I would be asking the ward leader. Best wishes.

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Hi - what a worry for you. Hopefully your mum will be on a food chart to monitor her intake - perhaps ask the ward sister if she is on such a chart. Additionally perhaps a referral to the hospital dietician and perhaps speech and language therapists to check on her swallowing. If swallowing is not a problem then maybe the "build up" type sipping drinks could be offered - lots of calories and your mum may enjoy them. I would be asking the ward leader. Best wishes.
She is being offered the energy drinks but they need to persist and may be have no time .she is being given fluids intravenously also.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell